Forums are back in action! ×

Arm falling asleep

KingZora

So I am not sure if this is even the remotely right place to ask this, but I have noticed since I have been losing weight and lifting more that my arm falls asleep a lot more easily than it used to.  It doesn't seem like a problem, and goes away as soon as I start moving my arm around, but it is noticeably easier to make happen now that it ever was before.

Anyone else ever experience this? or have any idea why it might be happening?

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

In my experience, it's been a nerve getting bunched up somewhere. Not in a huge way cause then you would probably be aching all the time. The PT person gave me nerve glide exercises. They really helped. If you're building muscle or rearranging your stature, your nerves might take a bit to catch up. There are several upper arm ones you can do - ulna, median, and carpel (lower down I think) and there are some neck ones as well. I would look for some on medical sites, the youtube ones may not explain why they are choosing the ones they're doing.

Best of Luck!

T

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Thanks for the advice! Most specifically you reminded me that I have a friend who is studying PT right now and would probably be a very good person to go to for advice!  I ended up annoying her a bit because she desperately wants to figure out exactly why it's happening to me now... but we live on opposite sides of the country so she can't really do an examination haha.  She thinks that trying nerve gliding and some stretches would be a good first start... especially the ones for the ulnar nerve.  Gonna try them out soon and hopefully it helps, and if not I will need to go see a PT myself and get this figured out.

Another thing for reference here... she said that if this starts happening to you as well, it is best to contact a PT since issues with the nerves are easiest to correct when they are caught early.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

You're not alone in this. Do you do pushups as part of your routine? If you just started there'll be a lot more strain on your elbows and wrists than you're used to, this can lead to trapped nerves. Then you could just be leaning on your arm a lot, sleeping on your side or whatever. Look at how you use your arms during the day to see if anything could be causing your arm falling asleep.

Adventurer Lv. 1

20/100 EXP

I am! It's going away, and almost non-existent since I have started stretching more and following the ulnar nerve stretches that you pointed me in the direction of, thanks.

I am! It's going away, and almost non-existent since I have started stretching more and following the ulnar nerve stretches that you pointed me in the direction of, thanks.

That's fantastic! I'm so happy for you.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Archived