Forums are back in action! ×

Hi guys!

I stumbled upon the blog a few days ago and this seems like a great place!

Brief intro:

-I'm a junior in college, and have been increasingly interested in health and fitness for the past few years. Ever since high school, when I lost some weight after my family expressed concern for me (I was never severely overweight, but the family history caused some concerns), I have tried and tried to be healthy. Usually this consists of trying to eat well, doing it too fast, and then just eating whatever. The gym has been the same way most of the time, with intense phases of very frequent exercise and then weeks of nothing. This summer, I got into running for the first time. I'd always said I hated running, and it did suck for a while. I'm never going to be a distance runner, but the short distances are pretty fun. Lately I've been getting into minimalist running with my new vibram fivefingers.

On the strength side, I've always been told to do the boring circuit of gym exercises and weight machines. Even though I did these things regularly for quite a while, I never saw tangible results. So, I started looking for something different. I found bodyrock.tv and have done a few of their workouts, but they are extremely intense for me at the moment. After reading the intro articles on NerdFitness.com and looking into the paleo/primal stuff, I hope I have found something interesting and not so time-intensive for strength training :)

I hope, with the help of the forum and hopefully some new friends, that I can finally lose the 20 or so pounds that have been a constant companion since high school. I'd like to be more confident, able to do things that scare me, and make new friends, especially since I'm going to be entering Graduate School in a year or so, likely with no one I know, which will be a totally new experience for me. On a more fun level, I love reading, fantasy books, especially Tolkien, Anne Bishop, and Anne Rice. British TV shows rock my world (Doctor Who especially), and I'm a total Harry Potter geek. I'm studying Medieval History, but would love to be an archivist when I grow up :) I've got a semi-regularly updated book blog, and am considering blogging about fitness/health if I can find enough to write about!

-rock on guys

Snarkypirate

Hi Snarky - fellow Arkansan here! I am in SW AR - whereabouts are you? Also love Harry Potter, British TV (if I can catch it on Netflix) and anything that needs to be kept in an archive, but hey, doesn't that describe everyone in Arkansas LOL?

What's your book blog?

Level 1 Earth Mother Druid 

STR-2 DEX-1 STA-3 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-3