Forums are back in action! ×

How Do You Recover After Being Ill?

So you've had to spend a week begrudgingly tied to the couch with a bottle of cough syrup and a box of tissues as your best friends, and now that you are feeling better are trying to jump back into routine. 

I myself am coming off a sinus infection and have a 5k this weekend that I promised to run...with my boss..

What do you do to shake that last bit of cold out of your system so you feel like new again and do you try and start right back into your routine, or ease into it?

just do it.

I always say I'm going to do something not so strenious but I always do anyway.    My big thing is not jumping around- I'm a big plyo/calthestics person... so I'll stick to more body weight/lifting type things rather than jumping.

And for the run- I'd just go out there and slug through it slowly.  I like working out when I'm sick- hate sitting at home doing nothing.  Anything that makes me feel better is a win.

Chicken noodle soup- lots of good electrolytes.  Preferably made from bone stock.

Bone broth also amazing for you, but hard to buy anywhere.

I also like sunshine and vitamin D, and really high humidity.

A neti pot can help flush out your sinuses.  My wife likes it, but I've never tried.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

get a pile of vit C in there too (oranges obv, peppers are good too) i'd personally say just start of with a long walk to get you moving again and as you go build up throughout the walk and take as long as it needs, i'm presuming you're off work so have all the time in the world

I've heard this is amazing at flushing toxins out of your system, I haven't tried it yet but am eager too. In a hot (as hot as you can stand it) bath add 1 pint Hydrogen peroxide and 2 tbsp ground ginger. It really makes you sweat and since it's removing toxins, you will have to pee a lot, but a friend of mine swears by it. Let me know how it works if you try it.

I would personally recommend you find yourself a good daily multivitamin to take. It'll give you immune system boosting vitamins to help you fight off the last of that sickness you have. They also do wonders for helping you not get sick during the winter season and boosting your general energy levels.

I've just been ill for a week and today is my first day of exercising since I got ill. I just started slow, some press-ups, crunches, squats and other simple calisthenics. Tomorrow I'll jump straight back into my normal routine, but today I didn't want to do any jumping or strenuous cardio. Take it slow. My big thing was building strength back up as I've lost about half a stone from being ill.

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Most of that's junk weight though - water, muscle glycogen, and gut load (if you've not been eating much).  Soon pops back on. 

My recovery? I do a light session, then back into it.  I don't bother scaling workouts unless there's been a long layoff - one week is fine.  The light session is more to get my blood up, breathing hard and a good sweat on to purge the last of that gunk.  

Archived