Forums are back in action! ×

Beer, Wine and Spirits

marionette

just checking in to see if we're still talking about lager....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Calories don't count on race day!

I have a similar approach.

there is never a sudden revelation, a complete and tidy explanation for why it happened, or why it ends, or Why or Who you are. you want one and I want one, but there isn't one. it comes in bits and pieces, and you stitch them together wherever they fit, and when you are done you hold yourself up, and still there are holes and you are a rag doll, invented, imperfect. and yet you are all that you have, so you must be Enough. there is no other way.

Marya Hornbacher, Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

On Sunday, after I rehydrate, I will drink all the lager. Or at least 2. Calories don't count on race day!

In Europe, they drink non alcoholic beer as energy drinks! Beer supposedly is better than water for recovery:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html

USS & NBAC Masters swim coach

Current: lifter, runner

Former: triathlete, cyclocross racer, NCAA swimmer

Current games: Borderlands 2, Runescape, Star Ocean, Dragon's Dogma

In Europe, they drink non alcoholic beer as energy drinks! Beer supposedly is better than water for recovery:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-491236/A-pint-beer-better-workout-water-say-scientists.html

Whenever I'm done work on time on Thursday I run with a group called the "Fishtown Beer Runners" its a fun run to a local bar that changes every week. It can be anything from a quick 2 miles, to 7 miles and goes year round, rain or shine. We toast "to the Professor", the guy mentioned in your article after every run once everyone has reassembled. Last year I did a couple runs in 100+ weather, just because this group is so awesome. 

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Guest asdf

I am primarily a beer guy and will drink just about anything you put in front of me as long as it isn't Bud Light(I do like the Budweiser from the Czech Republic though. It's quite good and not to be confused with Budweiser from the U.S.). If I'm on a budget my go to beer is Lion's Head from PA, but I'd prefer a Flat Tire, Dead Guy Ale, Killian's Red, Gösser, some sort of Raspberry Wheat, pumpkin beer or just about any German beer. Favorite all around hot summer day drinking beer is hands down a Kölsch.

Rum is my go to liquor, specifically Cruzan.

If I want to feel classy and eccentric I usually go for gin and tonic.

If it's "sit around and discuss what the meaning of life is" night, I enjoy bourbon on the rocks.

Worst beer I ever had was delicious.

But, if I were to narrow 'em down?

BEER

Founder's Breakfast Stout

Abita Amber

Shipyard Pumpkin

Harpoon Winter Warmer

High and Mighty XPO

BBC Coffeehouse Porter

Ommegang Hennepin

Narragansett

Miller High Life

Schlitz

Genesee Bock

WHISKEY

Woodford Reserve

Four Roses Small Batch

Jack Daniels Single Barrel

....and, get this, the new Trader Joe's house label.  Seriously.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Whenever I'm done work on time on Thursday I run with a group called the "Fishtown Beer Runners" its a fun run to a local bar that changes every week. It can be anything from a quick 2 miles, to 7 miles and goes year round, rain or shine. We toast "to the Professor", the guy mentioned in your article after every run once everyone has reassembled. Last year I did a couple runs in 100+ weather, just because this group is so awesome. 

Why are we not doing a lager meetup?  did I know you were in Philly?  WHAT????

Last night I drank Abita Strawberry (nom nom) and Harpoon black IPA.  Woot! 

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Last night I drank Abita Strawberry (nom nom) and Harpoon black IPA.  Woot! 

Nom nom indeed!  Usually not a big fan of fruit-themed beers, but they do it right.

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

Why are we not doing a lager meetup?  did I know you were in Philly?  WHAT????

Lol, you know it isn't like I've hidden it :P

Human Adventurer

Lol, you know it isn't like I've hidden it :tongue:

I've missed this somehow.  sheesh.

I AM going the distance

I've never liked beer, but I'm trying it more often. Sometimes I'd just like to have a beer with my wife or my buddies. Otherwise, my drink of choice is hard cider. My favorite being Woodchuck Amber. I'm also a rum guy, even though it makes my cheeks flushed. Captain and coke. Alternately, I like a Jack and coke from time to time. Whiskey's a bit harsher, but I still dig it.

CharlieBoston

My Character Page

Introduction - CharlieBoston and the Wavering Motvation
Fitocracy Profile

Athlinks Profile

"Hope, D'Argo. It's what keeps you going... I have hope or I have nothing."

Otherwise, my drink of choice is hard cider. My favorite being Woodchuck Amber. I'm also a rum guy, even though it makes my cheeks flushed. Captain and coke. Alternately, I like a Jack and coke from time to time. Whiskey's a bit harsher, but I still dig it.

Well there are as many different beers as there are wines, if not more so!

If you like the tart clean taste of a cider you might like something like a fruit flavored lambic, or one of the lighter colored offerings from Russian River (very sour, slightly funky, definitely not a "beer" taste, utterly delicious)

If you like things whiskey you may prefer an english porter or even a smoked stout. There are also some lovely rye beers with similar notes.

If you really want to learn what beer you like find a brewpub or bar with a deep draft list and a patient bartender. Tell them what you like about rum, cider and whiskey, and they can recommend beers. Brewery tours are great too as you can try all sorts of styles of beer that a brewery makes, and generally they are free! Plus you learn something :)

Human Adventurer

I looooove me some rum. With cold Mountain Dew. Delicious. Sailor Jerry's is awesome rum.

Is bad that I like rum enough that I'm about to start a spreadsheet and try all of the rums I can find in the local stores?

... Nah

Just a guy on a journey - Battle Log

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done - Bruce Lee

Be honest with yourself and ethically pursue your happiness - Laz

Love beer.  My taste has chaged over the years.  Always have and always will like dark beers.  Had a fad with hoppy beers later in college and shortly afterwards.  Went through a Belgian phase, went broke.  Brewed for a while and will probably get back into it eventually.

Nowdays the closer a beer is to from Munich or a copy of a style of beer from Munich or nearby, the more I like it.  I find IPA's repulsive outside of real small doses.  But I don't hate hops; I do like Czech style plisners.  The only exception to this are Scottish Ales, which I love.

Favorite regular drinkin beer is Michelob or Becks Sapphire, was all about the Lowenbrau (the real stuff, not the stuff brewed in the US in the 90's) but they stopped distributing it here.

Love all Octoberfests. 

Aventinus Eisbock is probably my favorite beer.  Innis & Gunn is a close 2nd, but only if it has never seen light, 9/10's of them are skunked.

Don't mind a Corona with a lime tho.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Oh this is the thread I've been longing for. The spouse works at the Wine and Spirits store and we live across the street from a great drinkery.

I'm a huge fan of ciders, especially Strongbow, but also Crispin and Samuel Smith's Organic. I used to get Woodchuck quite a lot, but lately it's fallen out of favor.

I'm not a big beer person, my Dad and the spouse cover that area, but I do like:

Allagash White

Kasteel Rouge

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour

Harp

Sam Adam's had a couple holiday brews that were good, Old Fezziwig and White Christmas

And the default of this area, Yeunging

I'm also a fan of tequila (straight or mixed), whiskey(mixed), Dr. Magillicudy's (cherry in seltzer), rums (mixed).

Trying to cut back on the drinking with my weight loss goals, but I do indulge on occasion.

I have broad tastes in beers, depends on my mood, the temperature, the situation, the food etc.

Some of my favorites though are Bell's Two Hearted (great IPA), and Bell's Oberon for a summer wheat style.  I generally go for american style ambers, and I like ESB's too.  In the summer; often corona light or PBR.

I really don't like wine.

For spirits, I'll take the oldest, darkest rum you have on the rocks, or as a dark and stormy.  No old dark rum, my typical standby of rum and diet coke.

Not really a vodka fan and generally avoid tequilla.

I'll drink whiskey, rocks or simple mixers.

If camping, its crown, I can sip it when warm.

Human Ranger Level: 2

STR: 5 DEX:  3.5 STA: 2.75 CON: 2.5 WIS: 6 CHA:  5

Challenge #1

I've never been able to just knock em back. When most people started drinking well before the legal drinking age i didn't start until probably my mid 20s, beer wasn't even in my mind until my late 20s. I'm seriously a 2 drinks and done kinda person. Which is great because if I'm not drinking them like water there is no need to get the cheap stuff!

Human Adventurer

Southern Tier Brewing is my favorite (semi-)local place. They've got some interesting seasonal stuff that they rotate throughout the year. I like Stouts/Porters, as well as IPA's. I also like red wines, and good scotch.

One of my favorite things to do is getting the "craft your own" 6-pack at my local grocery and filling up with a bunch of random stuff I've never tried before. Good times(most of the time).

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison

Sour (liquor of choice)

2 oz booze

1 tsp sugar, (honey is nice with vodka, maple syrup with whiskey, agave with gin)

1 oz fresh lemon juice

1 egg white (who says you can't get protein at cocktails?)

Combine in shaker with ice. Shake, shake, shake till your arms fall off.

Strain, serve neat.

Taste additions are thyme, cucumber, mint or berries.

Human Adventurer

that sounds disgusting... not even going to lie.... but I'm inexplicably drawn to wanting to try it!

Try it, it is delicious. It gives a nice creaminess to the head. It is also the original way to do a sour.

Human Adventurer

Sour (liquor of choice)

2 oz booze

1 tsp sugar, (honey is nice with vodka, maple syrup with whiskey, agave with gin)

1 oz fresh lemon juice

1 egg white (who says you can't get protein at cocktails?)

Combine in shaker with ice. Shake, shake, shake till your arms fall off.

Strain, serve neat.

Taste additions are thyme, cucumber, mint or berries.

Does the maple syrup go well with the lemon?  I really do like a whiskey sour, seems like the maple syrup would make it pretty awesome.

Human Ranger Level: 2

STR: 5 DEX:  3.5 STA: 2.75 CON: 2.5 WIS: 6 CHA:  5

Challenge #1

Archived