Forums are back in action! ×

My five year plan

My epiphany came to me sometime last week.  I'm 45, only been in great shape 2 or 3 times in my life, my diet is a free for all and I have no passion for anything in my life.  If I continue down this path I'm gonna be a mess when I'm 50.  I don't want to feel this way anymore, I can't live this way anymore.  So...I have five years to get healthy so I can be fabulous when I'm 50.  I've been listing my goals for 5 years, each year, every 12 wks and every 6 wks, from all aspects of my life; fitness, diet, mental health, financial, and social.  I stumbled across this website when researching my goals and it was a perfect fit, clearly I was meant to find it.

I know the "f@#k it's" will get in the way, often in the beginning. In fact today was one of them, I woke up tired and sore and nothing seemed to function smoothly, I came up with 10 reasons not to go for a run, but I went anyway,  I would love to say I felt much better afterward, but I feel the same, except less guilt.  I know I won't feel so blah forever and I certainly didn't feel any worse afterward, so I know I can do this. 

So I survived today and managed to fulfill my daily goals so it's all good!

Welcome! I can relate to what you are saying. I am 42 and felt the same way. I found this site a few weeks ago and something clicked and I got started. 

Congratulations for getting started. Keep going one day at a time, and if there is a day that the "Fuck it" wins, dont get too down. Beat them the next day and keep moving. 

Are you participating in the 6-week challenge?

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Welcome! I'm only 23 but I do have the same mindset where I'll be (such and such age) and is this how I want to be?

The scoring is really only important if you are playing the optional roleplaying game that turns you into a roleplaying character. Basically it's a way to still award yourself points even if you didn't meet your goals. So say I decided I was going to run everyday for a goal, but only managed about 70% of the days. Now I can give myself some points based on that rather then a pass fail system.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

So you have all your goals for 5 years written in 6 weeks ranges?? That's freaking awesome man!! How did you do it? I'm asking cause my goal in this challenge is to do something familiar :)

Elf Druid - Level 8         looking around for happiness || tracking || #intro || #old

"Most people think they’ll feel good once they reach some goal. By linking happiness to something you don’t have yet, you denying yourself the power to create it in the moment. Your happiness is your birth right. It shouldn’t depend on you ACHIEVING something. Start by claiming it and using it to make your journey fun all the way and not just at the end." S.Chandler

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy" G. Apollinaire

Panczo,

I should have phrased that differently.   I have my goals for each year, then I break it down.  example:  

Year 1

My physical fitness goal is pretty broad.  Just be in shape enough to start training for a major event like a marathon or triathlon in 5 years.  Being that I'm a couch potato, that's a challenge.  I am doing the C25K plan, this six week challenge is to run 1.5 miles (no walking) I had it at 2 miles, but I don't think I can do that yet.  The next six weeks I hope to get to 5K, I want to participate in the Firefly 5K at the end of July.  

A year seems a long way away, even more so five, it's my nature to procrastinate.  By making goals every six weeks, I stay in the present, but focused on the big picture. (that's the hope anyway)

Yes, but I think my goals need to be revised.  Also, when i read others goals they have all these grading scales and points assigned, I think this challenge will be more of . a learning experience, if anything.

How, about you?

I am participating in this challenge and it is definitely a learning experience. I set some goals and then thanks to one of the min-challenges I rethought it and re-tooled it a little. One of the best parts of this experience for me is learning how to set better goals for myself. I tend to be someone who sets the bar too high and then gets frustrated when I dont see results right away. When I am not super ripped after 10 pushups I say "F it" and give up. This has taught me to make smarter goals that require work but are achieveable.

I think it is cool you have a five year plan. I need to get to work on one of those for myself. Thanks for the inspiration!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Archived