Forums are back in action! ×

Gotta start somewhere...

Hey all, I was turned on to NerdFitness about a month ago and have read it intermittently since then. And then this month my bf and I bought the Rebel Strength Guide and decided it's time to actually get in shape.

I'm a 24 year old law student about to finish up my degree (done May 15th!) I've always been in decent shape and carrying some extra pounds but about a year ago I started playing Ultimate Frisbee and I realized that I need to actually get fit. Since then I've been working on improving my running (especially sprinting) and overall endurance to improve my game. Now I want to take it to the next level, improving my overall muscle tone and endurance for longer and stronger throws and better reflexes on the field.

Goals: I want to be able to do pushups (can currently do 5 at one go! woo!), chinups, pullups, all the upper body exercises that I've never been able to do. I want to learn how to work out safely so that my muscles don't seize up and so that I don't injure myself. And I want to get down to somewhere around 135 lbs without having to "diet" (because eventually you stop dieting and then lose it). Figure out a comfortable diet that includes enough protein without relying as much on animal protein. Any tips on high protein veggies, opinions on tofu and soy products, and advice on protein supplements are welcome.

I'm into history, especially the European royal families. I read a lot, especially fantasy and Sci Fi (LotR, Terry Pratchett, Song of Ice and Fire, The Soprano Sorceress, Fables) but really, I'll read anything I can get my hands on. Just finishing up Battlestar Gallactica (two episodes left, kind of sad to be done) and I love Firefly (actually anything Joss Whedon). I've even started watching the Startgate series (so bad and good all at once).

Looking forward to taking on new challenges and seeing what this body can really do. I'm totally comfortable with advice, feedback, constructive criticism, bring it on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Elven Assassin

STR: 2 DEX: 4 STA: 2 CON: 2 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

"The truth knocks on the door and you say ' Go away, I'm searching for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." -Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Welcome, and congradulations! What're you going to do with your law degree?

Love your goals! Many of mine are very similar, actually! I'm up to 10 pushups at a time, and sooooo close to doing a chinup. This Challenge, I'll definitely nail it. It can be done!

Also, total highfive on your interests. I liked the Tudors before they were famous. :P Are you as stoked as I am about the Game of Thrones TV show? 5 more sleeps!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Alethea - so excited about Game of Thrones show! A couple of my friends are having a party to celebrate and watch together. I'm really hoping it will be good.

Hopefully after the Bar I'll be able to find a job helping people get access to public benefits, housing, etc (basic public interest law).

I am hoping to nail a chin up this challenge, but if not, then next time!

"The truth knocks on the door and you say ' Go away, I'm searching for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." -Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Hah, I'm having a Game of Thrones party too! I'm trying to figure out a good menu. I think a chicken drumstick to hold and wave about is definitely key.

Great goal for your law degree! I really admire that.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Hey Plex, here's my one minute soap box speech: The law is incredibly complex and for better or worse, a thorough understanding of it is often necessary to navigate daily life. For people who lack the capacity (either mental or the luxury of time) to understand the law and how to make it work for them, there are attorneys. But for people who lack both the capacity and the money, there is often little recourse and those are often the people who most need the help. I wanted to do work I can feel good about and I can feel good about doing something to balance out the vast inequalities in the legal system. I also really love the work, love the clients, and enjoy the challenge of tackling new problems so it is both fun and something I can be proud of doing. End rant.

Alethea - I think drumstick is definitely in order. I was also thinking mini-pocket pies would be appropriate, but that all depends on my level of motivation.