Forums are back in action! ×

Few Questions On Adding Muscle Whilst On LowCarb

DoINeedOne

Hey, Hope i am posting this in right section

So most of my story is here

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/27805-afternoon/

But apart from that i have been reading up on low carb diets and with all the information out there my head is hurting so what i want to do is lose fat whilst building muscle and getting in shape for the last month ive been doing this workout which im enjoying http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

now for the questions

1) I've read that i should be eating lowcarb high fat during the week and after my last workout on friday start a 24 hour carb up kinda cheat day is this right?

2) Is it true to much protien will kick you out of ketosis if so how much is to much?

3) How much fat should i be eating per day?

So far this is what ive eaten today i think im on the right track, protien is already at 205g but calories seem low any suggestions

tz7n8ZC.png

Break down of the above in percentages

V18CBeb.png

There are some similar discussions in the nutrition threads. Join us over there.

In some, yeah, it's going to be hard to put on muscle on low carb. I'm dealing with that now.

Also if you are weightlifting, your calories are really low.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

now for the questions

1) I've read that i should be eating lowcarb high fat during the week and after my last workout on friday start a 24 hour carb up kinda cheat day is this right?

This is one strategy, yes. There are different opinions about how many carbs you need, and how long the carb up should be. I suggest trying it out and experimenting/tweaking to figure out what works for you.

2) Is it true to much protien will kick you out of ketosis if so how much is to much?

This isn't quite the binary "you're in"/"you're out" that you're imagining, but it's true that if you're trying to do the ULC (ultra-low-carb) followed by once a week carb up, you want to eat enough fat with each meal.

In general, per meal, you want at least half a gram of fat for every gram of protein.

3) How much fat should i be eating per day?

There is no right answer here.  I would say start at approximately equal grams protein and fat.

If you're not losing weight, start dropping the fat a bit.  (Remember, though, the minimum above.)  If you're feeling really weak and unable to function, raise the fat a bit.

But, and this is important, you will not gain muscle on this plan.  This is a "fat loss" plan you've set up for yourself.  You might gain a bit of strength if you're new to lifting, but this is essentially a way to remove fat and trick your body into being satiated on a caloric deficit.

Hope that helps.

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

It's difficult to gain muscle while low-carb, but it's not impossible if your calories are high enough. Your calories seem to be extremely low, so if you're trying to gain muscle, I would up them A LOT.

Attempting to lose fat while gaining muscle, while very possible for a beginner, is very tricky. Based on what you're doing right now, I would up the fat intake and lower the protein. Maybe add fattier cuts of meat instead of chicken breast.

Your plan seems to be more directed towards fat loss rather than muscle gain, so you need to assess what you're trying to accomplish and then adjust from there.

Jake

My personal health and fitness blog: http://JJStrength.com

As a beginner, you can pretty much ignore any building muscle while losing advice.

Chances are you aren't good enough at dieting to do it, and either way, results are sloooow (both muscle gain and fat loss), even if you are successful at it. If you aren't lean enough to see the difference that a pound or two of fat or muscle makes, chances are you won't notice a difference even if you successful.

Strength training while losing weight will, if a beginner, will cause you to gain a small amount of lean mass (whether it is actually muscle tissue is a whole question and very subject to debate). It will defintiely make them appear larger though. But these are short lived gains that will plateau within a month or two. Getting these noob gains requires nothing more than strength training, no special dieting or plans.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

You might be over thinking this a touch. Firstly Ketosis is not a healthy state to be in for any length of time, an ultra low carb diet can lead to nutrient deficits also. Also, protein and caloric volume are the building blocks of muscle, good carbs and healthy fats are the fuel for your life (including your workout). In order to short circuit this you'll have to ditch an all natural approach and fuel yourself in another manor (like caffeine). This is not a great idea, and certainly cannot be lived out for long, at least not if you're as interested in health as you are in strength and looks.

Honestly your diet doesn't look that bad. I'll drop your mono and poly unsaturated fats and replace them with saturated fats. These are much easier for the body to break down into energy and tax the digestive and endocrine system much less so you'll have more energy with less sluggishness. Also your legume intake (peanuts, peas) as well as your grain intake (corn) will keep you from ditching the fat.

Lastly, EAT MORE! That is the only way to kick up your calories.  I read the post you linked to and it looks like you're a hardgainer that is over 6 feet tall. You will be lucky to gain muscle with only 1500 calories a day. That is hardly enough to fuel yourself throughout the day much less with a workout, even less still trying to recover from that workout, especially if you want to recover to something better than your body's previous stasis. Easiest way to do this is with coconut oil and nuts. Both are calorically dense. Add a handful of macadamia nuts at the end of every meal. Take a table spoon of coconut oil also. Drink a glass of whole, (preferably raw) milk with every meal. Start slathering butter on your steak. Slice some cheese! Make some homemade, chipotle mayo and eat it on everything! Eat lots of bacon. There are a lot of things you can do. 

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Archived