Forums are back in action! ×

For being a spotlight whore, this is really nerve-wracking, but this is something I feel like I need to do to be all in this time.

I'm 20 years old, really ambitious and the classic overachiever. I was the homeschool girl who got all As and one B her entire education, took 10 different types of lessons, could outsmart you about politics, world events and history and then win the spelling bee. Yeah, THAT kid. Haha!

I'm a junior politics/history major at Drake University, I'm a political activist, write for two political websites, work two jobs, co-founded a volunteer PAC, interned in D.C. this summer, have worked over 20 campaigns in the past 2 years and have went on choir tour over 10 times the past three years. Bottom line, I'm busy and very, very blessed. I've gotten to accomplish a lot in my short time.

However, I am horrible....I repeat, horrible at maintaining good habits. I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I'm really hard on myself mentally and go through phases of really strict habits that pay off, and then I lose my way and gain the weight back. I've always been overweight and then junior and senior year, I lost a ton of it and then I've gained a bit back each year in college.

I'm a libertarian, so eating healthy, being as natural as possible and being paleo are all very popular in our movement, so I started paleo last June. Not only did I lose 30 pounds in a month, I also stopped taking medication for what they thought was endometriosis. It was really just a gluten problem! I was having the time of my life and feeling invincible, living in D.C. and dropping weight pretty fast for me. Then I came back to Des Moines, started school, came back around my family (who are amazing cooks) and was around all the stress of my life again. I started cheating, little by little, and the weight creeped back on. I would go through spurts where I would try harder and lose some, and then I'd gain it back and the cycle would happen over and over.

Basically, I know what to do, I'm just very inconsistent. I have a gym membership and when I work out, I kill it. I do about 45 min of cardio and over an hour of weight training. I drink lots of water on my good days and I never drink pop. I eat all natural, except for those cheats that sneak in, bringing my paleo/all natural ratio down to about 60-70%. I lose and gain the same 5 pounds every week. I use all natural products on my body, I don't drink water with fluoride, I take very careful care of my skin, hair, nails and teeth. I'm obsessed with fashion and can't wait to buy clothes in smaller sizes. I know exactly what to do, but I'm terrible about making it happen.

I've set goals for myself to lose about 2 pounds a week throughout the year and I have a weight goal on the 10th of every month. I have goals in mind, like working out at least 4x a week, eating all paleo, drinking 6 glasses of water a day and cutting out snacking. I'm just frustrated by my lack of discipline and consistency. I am so ready to change and I know that I owe it to myself to do so. I think I'm pretty, but sometimes I feel so incredibly ugly and unattractive because I'm overweight and I know that that's all some people see. I come off as extremely confident and that's the case most of the time because I have a big, Italian, I don't-care-what-the-hell-you-think, tough-liberated-political-woman-attitude, but sometimes it's just a front because honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to date me or think I'm beautiful. I'm ready to do this because I see my future self and how gorgeous and care-free I could be if I wasn't held back by this self-consciousness due to my weight. I'm all about living boldly, and I know that this is holding me back.

I've been doing this for a while, but I'm sure as heck no pro at it. If you have any tips, advice or tricks you'd like to share with me, I'd be more than happy to have it! I'm looking for friends, mentors, accountability partners here. This is too important to me to let it slide this time. I'm off to write my list of reasons why I want this more than ever! Thanks for reading :)

-kj

Pirate Kender Druid, Level 3

1.5 STR | 1 DEX | 1 STA | 7 CON | 3 WIS | 3 CHA

Specializes in flexibility, determination, promoting peace and giggling

Spoiler

"And though she be but little, she is fierce." -Shakespeare

"She loved life and life loved her back."

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

I would go for a very simple goal. And only one goal at a time. It sounds like you know what you need to do, now just make it happen.

Pick the most achievable goal and stick with only that for a couple of weeks. For example, only drink water and no soda or other sugar drinks or any drinks you consider "cheating" for two weeks. Sometimes we have to start off small.

I'm always jumping from program to program or diet to diet because things are not happening fast enough. Or, rather, I used to do that. I found starting off REALLY - I mean ridiculously - small worked best for me.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing about your progress. 

wake up. kick butt. repeat.

Level 2 Adventurer

WIS 6.5 || CON 1 || STA 2 || STR 3 || CHA 1.5

1st Challenge

2nd Challenge

Thanks so much! : I appreciate the advice.

Spoiler

"It does not take a majority to prevail, only an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brush fires of freedom in the minds of men."

-Samuel Adams

"Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." -Ricky Fitts, American Beauty

"I owe to God the gifts given me, to God alone. Without Him I am nothing." -Sergei Rachmaninoff

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. -Matthew 5:9

You arent going to like this advice but i had to hear it when i was about one module off doing a masters in my first year of university

you need to slow down. you cant maintain the habits because you are stretched too thin, and even if you dont feel like your actions say otherwise. you need to write down everything you do or want, pick five and stick to it

so 

be thin

get good grades

exercise

get an internship

be a committed relationship

those are mine and i am almost always happy with my life. superheros are exactly that, super and it is ok to be human. no one can fault you for being what you are

i know this doesnt sound very possible but if you are told about an in shape professor working internationally and having little to no health problems at the age of fourty despite having two kids (no im not describing myself) you would think that bloke is doing pretty well. Even spiderman needed help keeping his grades up and he was genetically enhanced 

• [*]Level 2 High elf - Ranger (56.7 kilos, approximately 13% body fat)[*]strength 4, dexterity 3, stamina 6, constitution 6, wisdom 5, charisma 2.[*]Challenge - run 5K straight, do 3 day exercise with weighted backpack, reach rep goal for 6 weeks, revise enough for exams; maintain code of bushido[*]"Go into battle determined to die, and you will surely live. Go into battle hoping to live, and you will surely die"

You seem super busy, maybe you'd have better success if you combined your other activities in ways that helped you fitness wise. 

For instance walking to meeting that aren't too far away, walking is great exercise and is great in general. 

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

Hello to a fellow libertarian! 

It's good to see you around here, since I've seen you on the chat room. :)

My tips? 

#1: The scale is not your only measurement tool. Only weigh yourself once every 6-8 weeks (at least, that's the time frame *I* do -- you could easily do every 2-4 weeks), keep measurement and photo logs so that way one measurement doesn't get you down. 

#2: The words "I can't" set you up for failure. The words "I don't" or "I do" set you up for success. Much of this is built on systems to support you instead of always depending on willpower. 

#3: Figure out why you're doing something instead of doing it just because it's "popular". I've been able to get much success in my own habits by defining that which is important to me. 

#4: Read "the flinch" by Julien Smith. It's probably the best book (next to the 4 hour work week) on destroying your "old self" and setting yourself up with good habits. 

Good luck! :)

Thank you so much, Clawed_Bear! I like your advice :) And yay libertarianism!!

Spoiler

-Samuel Adams

Archived