Forums are back in action! ×

Working out while sick???

gibnic

I am curious... when do you consider yourself too sick to workout?

I seem to have this problem where every time I start to get into a routine I get sick and it throws me off. Today I feel it coming on, my kids have been passing something around for a week and I feel it creeping into my respiratory system... I skipped my class and got a few extra hours of sleep (much needed). Now I am feeling like I could stand a bit of exercise, but I don't want it to backfire...

I don't have a fever, my stomach feels a little icky but no major issues really. I am not coughing or drippy yet. I am afraid that if I take a rest day today, my symptoms will be worse tomorrow. On the other hand I don't want to overdo it when I should be resting and still end up worse tomorrow! lol, it feels like I am in one of those "rock and a hard place" situations... 

What would you do?

Elan Ranger, Level 3

STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 7|WIS 7|CHA 8

Height: 5'4Weight lost: 14.5 lbs

Current Challenge

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

I usually just go in and get through my warm up, and I'll either call it a day or keep going on into my workout if I'm feeling ok.

Just listen to your body, if you feel you really need to rest, then rest. No need to push through when you feel like absolute crap. However, if you just have a slight cold, you should be ok to workout as you would normally. Most of the time I feel better after I workout when I'm sick.

Jake

My personal health and fitness blog: http://JJStrength.com

and please, for the rest of us, don't go to the gym when sick!  Find something else to do at home.

But yes, do your warmup and see how you feel.  Sometimes if I haven't had enough recovery days from lifting, I'll stop early like that, rather than get in a dangerous place from bad form.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't been going to the gym because, frankly, I hate it. I have been working out at home with the body weight circuit routine, and doing a lot of hiking, walking, running, etc. I have also been doing yoga.

Anyways, I did my warm up and didn't want to stop so I made it all the way through two circuits and a third set on some of the stuff . I also did 15 minutes of yoga before I had to leave to take the boy to baseball =) it really did help me feel better, and I am glad I did it too because my diet sucked today =( something about being sick makes me crave sugar and crappy foods. I did good portion wise but what I ate was sucky. 

Elan Ranger, Level 3

STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 7|WIS 7|CHA 8

Height: 5'4Weight lost: 14.5 lbs

Current Challenge

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

I'd just do a light warm up and see how I feel after that. And as others have said, don't go to the gym! haha

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

I have to be ass out in bed sick to not work out.  My full time job is very anti germy- so if you start having any sick symptoms you go home.  So even if I'm home from big work- I'll still work out- and as long as I'm not hacking coughing- I go to the gym.  I won't weight lift or touch lots of things- I'll do body weight and I'll dance- but I have to be like- losing it from both ends to not work out- a little upper body crap just isn't justification to not work out.  

SOMETHING must be done- even if it's push ups at home. whatever- I always feel so much better when I work out- even if it's just low body weight- no jumping around kind of deal. 

Archived