Forums are back in action! ×

Old Man Frax Talks About His Gut

Hi there, everyone! I was glad to find this site - what a great idea for a niche: getting nerds fit!

I'm here because I've somehow found myself at the age of 45 and weighing the most I've ever weighed in my life.

I'm 5'5" and 156 lbs. Not huge, but not good.

I spent the first 40 or so years of my life with a crazy metabolism that let me eat whatever I wanted all day long and I could not put on weight. For years, my jeans were 29 x 29. When I started college, I weighed 110 lbs. Throughout my 20s, I dreamed of one day hitting 140 lbs.

I was in the Army when I was younger, where I took up weight training. I was never super muscular - I was lean and had very flat abs with broad shoulders, not to mention being able to run 10K's.

For years, I did low reps with relatively high(ish) weights because I was constantly focused on mass-building.

My weight is mainly in my gut now, and it's depressing. It's been a few years since I lifted with any kind of regularity.

My main problem is that every time I pick up the weights to try to get back into shape, I am able to work out for a few weeks and then my joints start to hurt - mainly my elbows and shoulders. I don't know what to do: perhaps I should start training as a complete beginner? Is my age the big factor now? Wear and tear on joints? Or maybe I'm just not taking it slowly enough when I get back into training? Or should I be trying to maybe strengthen my tendons first, before trying to get muscle back?

I think I looked my best (and I got the most positive input from others) when I was around 135 lbs, so maybe if I focused on dropping around 20 lbs? Focus on cardio? I'm kind of lost.

In some ways, I don't even know this body anymore. I've cut 95% of the junk food I used to eat, but my weight has not dropped.

Any thoughts, especially from other "older" folks, would be welcome. Thanks for reading.

Ooh, I should have added: I'm a fairly sedentary desk jockey and a new vegetarian. I'm working to take all the fake, processed foods out of my diet.

Fraxinus, Level 1 Halfling DruidSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Welcome Fraxinus!

I remember all too well being super skinny when I was highschool. I was 6'2" and a 165 (I could wrap my thumb and index finger around my upper arm). It wasn't until I was in my 20s that I hit 180 although I couldn't break it until I hit about 25 or 26. By then I'd been studying martial arts for a few years and earned a black belt, but then I decided to go to college. Since then it's been an uphill battle with my weight and motivation to train. Although part of that was most likely because I got laid off back in 2008 from a job I loved and ended up in one that took a piece of my soul away every shift I worked for 4 years.

Oh well I got my job back at the beginning of this year and interestingly enough I find I have more emotional energy so I can get out and start training again. Not to mention I just turned 30 so, I figure it would be a great way to start off another decade of life. I'm also graduating after Fall Semester this year (HELL YES!).

As far as your joints go, I'd recommend you start over and work your way back up. I say this because my long frame has always put pressure on my joints, it wasn't until I had some basic strength that I was able to start working out heavily (even just doing more than 10-15 push-ups).

I've started getting back into the swing of things by going over some of my martial arts forms (if you're interested, I'll record some videos for you), paying particular attention to using dynamic muscular tension. I've noticed some muscle tone coming back and as such my joints haven't been hurting so much doing light body weight exercises. I"m going to start doing Steve's Beginner's Body-weight Circuit - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Then I've been posting stuff on my blog, but I've started re thinking my approach to  reporting there. Nothing concrete yet.

Best of luck, sending good vibes your way!

Stubbs

STR[3] DEX[2] STA[2] CON[2] WIS[4] CHA[3]

My Character Sheet - http://nerdjutsu.com/about/character-information/

Stubbs, thanks much for your reply! I remember being weirded out by hitting 30, but I have to admit that in some ways, middle age has been a real blessing. I think I'm much more myself than I've ever been in my life, if that makes sense. I care much less about what other people think about me and much more about making the most of my time and being a good husband and dad.

Thanks for pointing me towards the body weight circuit. I think that would be the best way for me to start again. Plus, now that the weather's getting nice, I'll work to get more active, too.

I appreciate your reply - thanks again!

Frax.

Fraxinus, Level 1 Halfling DruidSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 3

Archived