Forums are back in action! ×

Intimidated by buff dudes until...

I don't get on here much, but this happened the other day to me and if ANYONE would appreciate it, you guys will.

So, I was working out, in the free weight area, at an unusual time and there was a crowd I wasn't used to. There was a group of five guys doing circuits together, cheering one another on, doing all that bro stuff. They were all in pretty good shape and I am not, so it was intimidating to say the least. I thought to myself, "Axehead, that isn't what is important. Get your sweat on despite them, and it won't matter." So halfway through my warm-up of the Rebel Fitness Guide, I overhear them talking about watching a show last night. I didn't catch on for a minute until I heard one say

"What is GOT?" -leader guy

"Game of Thrones." -buff guy showing his nerd

I giggles to myself and thought, "Wow! Really?!?!"

They continued.

"Well, last night was that one guy, umm... Jaime and that big girl. The ugly one. You know?"

"Cat?"

"No, that big knight girl that is with her."

No one could remember her name. I had to jump in.

"Brienne."

"YEAH! That is it!! So, you watching them?"

So, we all talked about the show and books. Then I went back to my workout feeling MUCH more comfortable knowing that just because they were in shape didn't mean they were jerks who were judging me at my every weak attempt at exercise. It was a good day, and a bit of a confidence booster.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Level 1 Kerra Adventurer

STR: 4 | DEX: 1 | CON: 1 | STA: 1 | WIS: 5 | CHA: 3

Current Challenge

“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then. â€

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson here!!!

I try to tell people this all the time- and they just can't see past their eye balls. I spent 20 minutes at my day job telling a guy we probably had maybe 5-10% truly meat headed idiots at our gym...we just don't see it that much.

Most of those guys- are REALLY awesome.  I am friends with lots of huge guys- because I am there ALL the time- and it is what it is. They are really people like everyone else.   They get judged quiet a bit for their appearance just the same way other people do- but yeah- some of them are super cool.

see look making new friends AND kicking ass at the gym- this is called multi-tasking!!!

GO YOU!!! 

Good for you for having the guts to join in the conversation! Wish I had someone to talk Game of Thrones with at the gym! (Just finished season 2- episode 9 of that.. OH MY GOD!)

I think it's like that in most situations in life, other people can sometimes seem a bit scary but once you're over that initial impression, the vast majority of people are cool! Initially I was a bit wary of guys who look like they train obsessively, but all the ones I've spoken to are cool and friendly! We're all there to get fitter, being supportive is part of that!

think of them just like you.

every nerd have to start at some point, some started early (wish I was one of them).

no mather how intimidating they may look you never know what you find underneath!

and never doubt yourself when working out, you improve yourself, not everybody else :).

and happy lifting!

Be like water my friend

Archived