Forums are back in action! ×

Howdy From Austin TX.

Hey Rebellion,

This is Lambda42 signing up. I am a Computer Science major at a mostly Liberal Arts School and i am have a heck of a time finding people to run with at a school of Education and English majors (help me God, i'm surrounded by hipsters). I work my crappy IT job for now but i am always looking for anything in the Video Game Industry. I am a Freshman here at Concordia University and I can't wait to meet y'all.

I recently got into Parkour and though i'm not that good i'm looking for anyone interested in a meet up in north or west Austin. I also am trying to get back into paintball if anyone in the area is interested.

Here's a huge thanks to Steve for saving my life. I was seriously out of shape and was loosing faith in my abilities and my body till i get inspired by parkour and subsequently found NerdFitness. I was awe struck at what i found here and i am so glad that i found this place. Thanks to all of you who have been here to inspire, you change lives. I now bike or run at least a mile a day and am working my way back into shape with everything my body can take.

Well enough sappy stuff. I have obviously been spending too much time with my classmates. I hope to hear from a few people in the area interested in a Parkour meet up.

Thanks and God Bless,

Lambda42

Oh and i almost forgot,

I am hoping to move to Ireland to go to Trinity Collage in Dublin in the next couple of years. So if anyone is in Ireland and wants to give me some info about the country I am always listening.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.-Marianne WilliamsonI aim to misbehave-Mal Reynolds

Specs:

Class: Ranger

Level: 1

Thanks Kahn!! I am just finishing up some changes to my resume then sending it in. Thanks for the heads-up.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world.-Marianne WilliamsonI aim to misbehave-Mal Reynolds

Specs:

Welcome! That's great to hear about your lifestyle change! Do you do strength training at all? How are you training for parkour?

Good luck with that hipster infestation. I hear you can never get rid of all of them, and then they just breed right back.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Thanks for the welcome guys:)

Alethea, Ya the hipsters are a problem, if one survives they start budding and more spawn:) lol. And as to parkour i have started 3 sets of 3 pull ups a night, 2 sets of 15 sit ups, and a bit of work on parallel bars to use the muscles needed to pull your self over a fence. I am trying to keep it all very practical so i avoid gym equipment. There's old disused playground equipment along my bike route so i use that stuff:)

Sanjh, Thanks for the advice, I am currently hoping to get a Grad Degree in Augmented Reality:) So lots of VR stuff. I would love to work with virtual reality for both military training and maybe be a Disney Imagineer or something like that:) I love virtual reality and i know Carnegie Mellon has a great program for it:) as does Trinity Collage Dublin:)

Specs:

I think Augmented Reality would fall into the realm of graphics. I don't know about you, but it's things like this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Automatic_Virtual_Environment that get me to geek out.

The CAVE is a multi screen projection technology, with an active 3-D system that refreshes at 100Hz, it uses point recognition to determine the position and orientation of the user's eyes, and adapts the image to be seamless (at the corners) from the point of the user.

That looks awesome Sanjh:)

Ya. I like the 3d motion capture stuff and would love to try and incorporate that into VR. I always image laser tag with VR glasses and motion capture suits on that make the course look like a real battlefield and the other players look like an enemy soldier. Great for military training exercises i would think.

Specs:

Sort of. I just signed up for the 6 week challenge and one of my goals is to give up Dr. Pepper. I am a heavy caffiene addict(48+ oz. of soda a day) and so i am weaning myself off DR pepper and trying to find ways to get less caffeine and in a healthier way. I currently switched to vitamin water(the caffeinated one) but if anyone can offer a better drink i would love it:) Also trying to stop eating doughnuts for breakfast and switching to apples.

Beyond that i really don't have anything. I am Lactose intolerant so i have to be careful with my diet anyway.

Specs:

Sort of. I just signed up for the 6 week challenge and one of my goals is to give up Dr. Pepper. I am a heavy caffiene addict(48+ oz. of soda a day) and so i am weaning myself off DR pepper and trying to find ways to get less caffeine and in a healthier way. I currently switched to vitamin water(the caffeinated one) but if anyone can offer a better drink i would love it:) Also trying to stop eating doughnuts for breakfast and switching to apples.

Beyond that i really don't have anything. I am Lactose intolerant so i have to be careful with my diet anyway.

*cough* Water, Coffee, Tea *cough*

Vitamin water is still basically sugar water (well high fructose corn water). (Before you start thinking I'm crazy, I'm also a Dr. Pepper Addict and used to go through a 2-liter in a day)

Also on the breakfast note I would either recommend a Big Paleo Shake, or some egg muffins. If you get some protein and fat in your system in the morning, it'll do a lot better at holding you over until lunch.

Sorry for this probably stupid question but.. Paleo Shake? I have read up on the paleo diet a bit i never saw anything about that. I am still a rookie and there is a lot to learn here:)

and good point about the drinks, i'll give tea a shot. I guess i'll have to get used to artificial sweetener since unsweetened tea in Texas is hersey. lol.

Specs:

honey! Raw, unpasturized honey! A bit more expensive, but has a number of awesome health benefits because it still has the polin and enzymes in it (which get wrecked in processing), and tastes delicious. Don't go nuts with it, but a teaspoon or tablespoon (87 calories, if I'm remembering it right) a day wont kill you, unless you're trying to get into the single digits of body fat. It's sweeter than sugar, so a little goes a long way.

Dont use artificial sweetener, that stuff is not food. It's imitation foodlike substance.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Sorry for this probably stupid question but.. Paleo Shake? I have read up on the paleo diet a bit i never saw anything about that. I am still a rookie and there is a lot to learn here:)

and good point about the drinks, i'll give tea a shot. I guess i'll have to get used to artificial sweetener since unsweetened tea in Texas is hersey. lol.

As it is heresy in the most of south according to my wife, I like the unsweetened green/white tea myself, although it doesn't quite have the caffeine kick desired.

Here's a link to Steve's primal shake. http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?911-Steve-s-Big-Ass-Primal-Shake

But basically throw fruits, nuts, veggies, coconut or almond milk, and protein powder into a blender and Bam! you got breakfast. Not quite paleo, but you could do a lot worse.