Forums are back in action! ×

Lurker wants to participate

Hi guys 'n gals!

After reading the awesome articles on here for quite some time I want to step up and participate. After reading the Primal Blueprint (and loving it) I started to do some more research and lo and behold, the Google presented me with NF. Despite really enjoying the primal blueprint I prefer to participate here because I’m a true nerd at heart.

A little something about me:

I’m 26 years old living in the Netherlands. Since I was a little boy I’ve enjoyed football (soccer for you Americans). During my stint at uni I ballooned to 108 kg (about 238 lb.) which last year I’ve been able to get down to 94 kg (207 lb.) through a combination of moderating my food intake and upping my exercise routines. This has been steady for nearly a year now and I’ve decided it’s time for me to get better. My body fat is somewhere around 23% (down from 25% some 6 weeks ago, but no weight loss).

For the last month and a half I’ve been exercising in the gym an average of two times a week, trying to move to free weight training more and more. My progress is definitely there, but not at the tempo I’d like to progress.

As for eating, I have been a nutrition noob for a quarter of a century and only recently have spent time to learn about nutrition and diet. I’ve found it hard however to transition my real life diet to something my health will benefit from. Cutting out grains has proven difficult. I have a desk job for 36 hours a week so bread is really the most convenient option.

I look forward to participating on the boards and start my own 6 week challenge when the next one comes up. I’d love to get tips and advice and will offer the same wherever I can.

Cheers,

Robin

Level 1 - Ranger

Str: 4 - Dex: 3 - Sta: 4 - Con: 1 - Wis: 2 - Cha: 1

YEAH PB - Mark Sisson changed my life.  I just finished reading Primal Connection.  When you are set on your diet - I recommend you give it a read.

I also have visited your country - it was an amazing trip - very beautiful.  one day I will get back over there.  

welcome aboard!

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Thnx allirep! Glad you enjoyed our country, where did you go?

Hadn't heard of whole 90 before Gilfren, but I've read some about it now. It definitely sounds interesting and is worth a shot. But first I have to figure out what I'm going to eat during work, when I have that tackled I will go for it. Thanks for the tip :)

Level 1 - Ranger

Hadn't heard of whole 90 before Gilfren, but I've read some about it now. It definitely sounds interesting and is worth a shot. But first I have to figure out what I'm going to eat during work, when I have that tackled I will go for it. Thanks for the tip :)

Do you have a fridge at work? It's really helpful to prepare a week of lunches on Sunday and bring them to work so they're locked and loaded.

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

We have one on our floor but it's broken. But I can't imagine that it's the only fridge in the entire building so I'm gonna check it out wednesday.

What do you usually take to work for lunch?

Level 1 - Ranger

I'll be honest, I'm freshly coming out of the sin of being unprepared.

A fellow rebel put out a recipe for mini quiche which I have yet to make, but plan to make enough for a week of mid morning snack.

I made a weeks worth of paleo friendly meatballs (can be eaten warm or cold)

I have 2 cooked chicken breasts in there (either to eat as a whole, or cut up and put in a salad).

I usually have some kind of chopped veggie in there for snacking (celery, cauliflower)

I keep healthy snacks in my desk (nuts seeds, dried fruit, etc) for quick grabs.

I'll cube up sweet potatoes and take them to work and microwave them...

The choices are endless, but my downfall was taking the -time- to make sure I had them at work or ready to take to work. If my plan was to prepare something in the morning, it would almost never happen and I would ultimately grab something from the frozen tundra of my freezer, loaded with things that were probably slowly turning my body into plastic.

I lost 6 lbs on the first week of clean eating.

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread

6 lbs in a week is insane, well done. Planning ahead seems like a great idea, preparing a few meals in advance.

Read some more about the whole 90, I really like the idea and it makes me wonder how it would affect me.

Level 1 - Ranger

It felt insane. I haven't lost any more since then, but weight loss wasn't the goal, just an added lil' bonus to the clean up.

I can't say enough about getting educated about food. I've done it so wrong for long.. it frustrates me.

Why be frustrated, just accept that the way you used to do things wasn't beneficial to your health at all and that from you can get better. A little better every day makes for a huge step forward over time. I also really believe that when you make healthy food decisions you're weight will come down without having to count every calorie.

Level 1 - Ranger

My family stayed in the south at this place - but we traveled around a good bit. Def got to visit Maastricht, Valkenburg and Sittard -- and a few cities in Belgium and Germany.  

We have one on our floor but it's broken. But I can't imagine that it's the only fridge in the entire building so I'm gonna check it out wednesday.

What do you usually take to work for lunch?

I'll throw my 2 cents in - I usually eat leftovers from the previous night's dinner for lunch at work.  But, I have access to a fridge and microwave.  Big salads w/protein are an easy fix.  I also usually cook a quiche or roast on the weekends to eat for breakfast during the week - when I have my act together. 

There is a Paleo/Primal section of the NF forums - there are recipes and tips there.  

If you are looking for recipe suggestions, I'm not a gourmet cook by any means.... but I do ok.  I've been following PB for almost a year now.

Introspective Bookworm (Lvl 6)STR 8.5 | DEX 10 | STA 11 | CON 13 | WIS 15 | CHA 11Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am. I... am a librarian. (Rachel Weiss, The Mummy)Intro/Current Challenge | Fitocracy | MFP 

Archived