Forums are back in action! ×

Finally Pushing Myself

I came to a startling realization the other day: if the Doctor showed up, right now, took my hand and told me to run, my butt would not make it to the TARDIS.

My weight has ballooned to 216 pounds! That's way heavier than I've ever been, and I never want to see a number above 200 on the scale again. (I'm way too short to weigh that much.)

It’s been easy to blame health problems for my weight gain over the last few months, especially when one of the most effective new medicines I’m on has weight gain as a main side effect. But I really needed a shove to take personal responsibility. Yes, the medicine isn’t really helping, and yes, there have been a lot of days in the last few months when I wasn’t physically capable of making it to the gym, but there were times in-between that I could and didn’t. And there was never an excuse to let my eating habits fall to the wayside like they did. My health issues forced me to move back in with my parents, who are really unhealthy eaters, and I let that influence me rather than encourage them to eat better.

I just want to feel healthy again. Looking good naked would be nice, but whatever. Having energy and feeling better is the goal right now. I've been reading the Nerd Fitness blog, and I've started making healthier choices in my life - getting at least half an hour of exercise a day, reaching for an apple or bag of baby carrots instead of pretzels or zebra cakes. Right now I'm just really hungry but I know I have to push through and soon it'll be routine again.

So I thought I'd join the forum to get a bit of support since I don't really have any fitness buddies in real life.

Good luck!!  I'm doing the same...making a commitment and taking control!!  That's what it's all about.  I'm convinced that I can do it and if I can, anyone can!  I'm pretty active, but still struggling to lose some pounds and get stronger - this community has already helped with good feedback and answers.

You can do it!!

Archived