Forums are back in action! ×

I'm a nerd who wants to get into fitness. Perfect!

Hi Everyone!

I'm 20, from the Philippines, and I work full-time as an assistant manager for training and development in a fast-casual restaurant chain focusing on fried chicken and pork. As such, my work environment is not conducive for a healthy lifestyle at all.

My family has a laundry list of ailments on both sides: Diabetes, cancer, hypertension, you name it! All of my older uncles also have that dangerous "big belly, skinny legs / arms" build, which I'm also turning into. All of my fat gain is in my midsection. My family has always been brought together by food: burgers, pastas, pastries, all of the unhealthy stuff. It doesn't help that my aunt owns a pastry shop and my grandmother has been baking her entire life. We were a family born to be fat.

My short-term goal is to gain muscle -- along the way squatting 1.5x my body weight -- and lose fat, but my long-term goal is to avoid the aforementioned diseases that have plagued my family for generations. 

My body type can be described as skinny-fat. I'm 5'10, 165 lbs, with most of that in my gut. I have never excelled in any sport. My cardio is terrible and I get winded after running 500 meters. I've been on and off "fitness programs" for the past few years. I tried jogging but I got bored too easily. I bought some dumbbells but I can't find the motivation to consistently practice. After a while I finally gave in and decided to join a Gold's Gym near our office, with the idea that I'll be motivated to work out if I know I'm spending money on it consistently. It actually worked! I've been working out 2-3 times a week for a month now and I feel so much better. 

My interests include a lifelong devotion to the NBA (both watching, playing Fantasy Basketball and playing 2k) and series such as The Office and Game of Thrones. My current job has severely decreased my gaming time. Previously I was regularly playing DotA and Lord of the Rings Online. I still consider myself to be quite "nerdy" as an introvert with ADD, which gives immediately gives me a disadvantage in social situations, though my job in HR has forced me to improve my social skills.

I joined this community because I know I'm a beginner at this and I feel like this is a place where I can ask all the stupid questions and not get laughed at. It's not a place full of meatheads who'll laugh at someone with a 75 lb squat. 

Sorry for turning this into my personal blog post. Hoping to meet new friends here. :D

Archived