Forums are back in action! ×

This ranger needs to become better at life

Hey,

Brand new to this forum, and already feel like I am home.  Never thought I would find the perfect mix of nerd-dom and fitness. 

A little about myself.  I am 32 years old and a program manager for a small company in Iowa.  As a majority of you I am sure, I also sit in front of a dual monitor for 8+ hours a day.  I wish I could use this as the excuse for my current condition, but I have only had this job for a year, and I have been out of shape for a decade.

I was in fantastic shape (I would even go as far to say I was ripped) back in my 20s.  I played on a college varsity volleyball team, I was in the gym 20 hours a week, and was a lean 175lbs.  Within a year after college I was finding myself weighing 225lbs and adding more every day.  Earlier this year, I topped out the scale at 262lbs.  Almost 100lbs heavier than my college days.   

Having 3 small children, I enjoy playing with them and being active.  But at that weight, I couldn't keep up.  I made a decision to get in better shape for my kids.  In February, I started reducing my calories and making time to get out for a walk or run every day.  When I weighed myself this morning, I weighed in at 235 lbs, so I have lost almost 30 lbs so far.  My goal is to hit the infamous 199 mark.

I have always been highly competitive and fairly athletic, even at my larger size, so getting back into it has been fairly easy. What I am looking for is a way to stay motivated and keep it fun.  So I am going to start leveling up and be the best Ranger I can be!

Sorry for the rambling, feel free to ask any questions if I was vague or confusing or left something out. 

Summary: I am fat and out of shape.  I want to be not fat and not out of shape. 

Shrinking Ranger, level 1 Human Ranger in Training

STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 2 | CHA 3

Thanks!  Yeah, I am already feeling a lot better.

As far as specific fitness goals, that is a good question.  I would have to say, short term, to be able to complete a 5k.  Long term, I would like to try one of those Spartan Races or Tough Mudders. 

30 lbs is a serious achievement, congrats!

Do you have any specific workout plan or are you taking it on the fly just going out when you feel like it?

And in terms of diet, just moderating intake or following any guidelines?

Level 1 - Ranger

Str: 4 - Dex: 3 - Sta: 4 - Con: 1 - Wis: 2 - Cha: 1

My workout plan is not specific as of yet.  I am just doing a lot of cardio, mixed with bodyweight exercises.  I am open for suggestions in this arena.  Workout plans overwhelm me.

As far as diet, I started out about 2 months ago really just counting my calories, and finding ways to feel full by eating low calorie whole foods.  As I look back, I have discovered that I have accidentally been following the Paleo eating plan!  Bonus!  Lots of raw veggies, grilled lean meats and the occasional fruit.  :-)

My only concern with my diet is that I feel I am actually getting too FEW calories.  I find it difficult to get enough calories from just lean meats and veggies.  I am averaging right around 1000 calories a day consumed.  I actually feel full and satisfied after each meal, so I am really struggling to find other ways to get enough calories.  This is actually a very strange problem for me, as I was used to consuming 4-6k calories a day.  Any suggestions on this?  I am aware that too few calories can result in killing my metabolism.  But I also don't want to force in empty calories just to hit a number. 

Here is a typical daily menu for me:

Breakfast:

3 Egg white omelette (with onion, pepper, mushrooms, no cheese)

Banana

Mid morning:

1/4 c Raw Almonds

Lunch

6oz grilled chix breast

cabbage salad with onion, green pepper, mushroom and pico de gallo (as a dressing substitute)

Apple

Mid afternoon:

Protein Shake (not paleo, I know)

Dinner:

Grilled fish or chicken

Grilled vegetables (Squash, peppers, green beans, etc)

If it's fun you're looking for, can I suggest you look at Zombies, Run! app (iPhone and Android) if you have a smartphone/ipod?  They do an intro 5k one with drills and the full on version with Zombie Chases.  I use that to put up with cardio.

Mon: rest

Tues: crossfit (or general bodyweight)

Wed: 5k run

Thurs: Lifting

Fri: rest

Sat: 5k run

Sun: Lifting

although this week I have a tough mudder on sunday so I'm doing nothing more than the odd pull up/chin up and stretching/foam rolling.  When you get to my age (29 with over a decade experience...) a rest day really is a rest day.

I also log things on fitocracy and Arnold has a monthly spark challenge going (plus there's a ton of groups on there).  PM me with your email address if you need an invite (I'm not sure if you even still need an invite to get on there)

obstacle/mud runs are all sorts of fun.  Tough Mudder is a lot of fun (at least I didn't have to do 5,000 burpees in it, unlike spartan race).  Requires a certain stubborn streak if you're not that fit but ignore the marketing about "toughest race on the planet".

too few calories?  Sad to say I've never really had that as an issue, although I suspect when I start looking at shifting the final rebellious pounds I'm going to have to.

and obviously there's a whole bunch of articles and ebooks available on this site .

Good luck.

Mid afternoon:

Protein Shake (not paleo, I know)

hush. lalalalalallalal not listening.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Tough Mudder is a lot of fun (at least I didn't have to do 5,000 burpees in it, unlike spartan race).

Enough said.  Tough Mudder it is.

I hate burpees and burpees hate me. 

That is why whenever I do them I DESTROY them.  There should be a level up option for burpee kills.

Bear in mind warrior dash, spartan race etc. you can start off with a 5k variant and work up to the big beasts.  Tough Mudder is pretty much all out right from the get go.  Spartan race just lets you do burpees instead of various obstacles and *someone* *cough* decided that getting a stress fracture in the first five minutes wasn't a good enough reason not to complete it ...

Nice profile pic btw.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Archived