Forums are back in action! ×

Inspiration from the local elementary school...

gibnic

I posted this in my challenge forum, but I wanted to share it with the whole community too, maybe someone else will gain some inspiration from it as well. 

I helped out at my kids Jog-A-Thon this morning. Their elementary school is K-6. I have a 5th grader, a 3rd grader and a Kindergartner there.

There were volunteers from the Marine Corps (we live next door to Camp Pendleton) the Fire Department, and high school students that are involved with athletics (football, baseball, track and field, etc.) It was really so cool to see such strong community support for these kids to be physically active and it was great for me to hold my vision of being fit enough to be able to participate in adult events of this type... I want to eventually do a marathon and tough mudder, but in the meantime there are lots of events I want to participate in as I work my way up to that. 

Anyway,  I was so impressed with these kids!

My little one, six years old, 42", 40 lbs (my little pixie girl), ran 8 laps in 15 minutes (this was the top for her age group). 

My 8 year old, 70 lbs, 4'10 ran 9 laps, the most in his age group was 10

My 11 year old, 5', 90 lbs ran 6 laps, which does not sound so impressive until you take into account that she has a disability that makes it hard for her to walk or run long distances.

The most athletic kids in the school ran 12 laps in 15 minutes. WHAT?!

As two marines ran   by one said to the other "man, some of these kids are FAST!"  :onthego:

I wish I could have run with them, but they needed me to help keep track of laps and spray them with water as they ran by (at 9 a.m. it was already 80 degrees out). I will get my run on when it cools down this evening though!

I am sooooo inspired =) 

Elan Ranger, Level 3

STR 6|DEX 4|STA 5|CON 7|WIS 7|CHA 8

Height: 5'4Weight lost: 14.5 lbs

Current Challenge

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -Nietzsche

As two marines ran by one said to the other "man, some of these kids are FAST!"  :onthego:

Haha, that image put a smile on my face! :) It's so cool that your community does this. I vaguely remember doing something similar at my elementary school, but we didn't have high school athletes and marines come and cheer us on. I bet it was really inspirational for them to run with people they look up to!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Archived