Forums are back in action! ×

Tips for lack of Focus?

AllonsY!

Maybe this belongs in another section but...

I went online to find someone to paint because painting portraits is a hobby of mine. I wound up on Facebook, Nerd Fitness and 9gag. 

Anyone have tips on how to not waste time or to maintain focus on productive or creative hobbies (not just lifting) over and above endless movies or surfing? 

What have you done to help yourself become a better person in this?

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

...I started writing a response, but one sentence in, I went to check Reddit. Oops. I dunno if I should give any advice here!

That being said, Steve did write an article on how to become a productivity ninja! I'll try and put some of those tips into action... right after I check my Facebook. :onthego:

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Goals to start doing something.

Once I get going I'm usually good to go. Its starting that is an issue. If I make goals to do something, if it is just too much I tend to just skip it. So a better goal for me is to just do something for a short while. A minute out of my day.

This tends to give me good results. I can always stop doing it after just a minute and feel good about reaching my goals, but 9/10 of the time I end up doing whatever it is much longer.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Are you inside your house? GET OUT! Your house is filled with time sucking booby traps. 

Go to the library or a coffee shop. The act of simply going to another place will put you in a different frame of mind. I actually go to a coffee shop that's only 5 minutes away from me because I know I'll be in a different frame of mind compared to the house. 

Meditate, go for a walk - get away from distractions or turn them off. Getting out of the house is definitely a good idea, especially if you can't keep yourself from getting distracted. Nature is always good if you have some nearby, especially some space where there isn't a lot of distraction (e.g. cars, tourists ect.). Forests might even be better if there are no annoyances as they have a calming effect (due to plant pheromones)  and usually your senses sharpen because they're not overloaded anymore.

It's also gonna help if you can make working on it consistently a habit, that's why my workout EQ and instruments are always in the open space in my room. (if you were to manage doing something at home)

Certain kinds of music (depending on your tastes) can also help when you get your other senses out of the way.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

Archived