Forums are back in action! ×

Tricia Wears Vibrams - Causes Postal Service Reform??

My new Vibram FiveFinger KSO shoes!!!!

Posted Image

I've seen these shoes on the packing lists of many vagabonds and minimalists, but it wasn't until I read Tim Ferris' article on the Huffington Post that I was convinced to get a pair of my own. Now I don't want to take them off!

They arrived on the first warm day Michigan has experienced in more than six months. I took a two mile walk outside in my new KSO's and they felt amazing - I could feel everything I was walking on. I didn't like the texture of the sidewalk, so I walked on the grass instead. It just felt so natural to do so.

A postman stopped to remark on my shoes, and kept asking where I got them because he wanted a pair. I told him where he could buy them and he gave me this ridiculous high five (think JD and Turk from Scrubs). Could you imagine - the entire US Postal Service wearing Vibrams? They're so comfortable to wear, it could definitely catch on....

Yay vibrams! I can't wait until the snow melts and I can wear mine!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

@inferiormadbeing For me personally, it's very hard to go back to wearing "feet coffins" - I have an administrative job 5 days/week and I'm required to look professional, so I can't wear them during the day. If I had the choice, these would replace my non-formal footwear completely, yes. They are perfect for the gym, that's where they have been cropping up a lot since the shoes have gone mainstream. You get a much better sense of balance and flexibility. When you go back to wearing "regular shoes" there is a noticeable difference. Have fun with them!

@alathea I know how you feel - the snow only recently melted here in lower Michigan. I've noticed Vibrams are permeable on the top/susceptible to rain and snow. I wonder if they will come out with a cold weather edition? Then again, barefoot in the snow isn't so much a good idea haha.

@inferiormadbeing For me personally, it's very hard to go back to wearing "feet coffins" - I have an administrative job 5 days/week and I'm required to look professional, so I can't wear them during the day. If I had the choice, these would replace my non-formal footwear completely, yes. They are perfect for the gym, that's where they have been cropping up a lot since the shoes have gone mainstream. You get a much better sense of balance and flexibility. When you go back to wearing "regular shoes" there is a noticeable difference. Have fun with them!

@alathea I know how you feel - the snow only recently melted here in lower Michigan. I've noticed Vibrams are permeable on the top/susceptible to rain and snow. I wonder if they will come out with a cold weather edition? Then again, barefoot in the snow isn't so much a good idea haha.

Haha excellent! I work in a lab so it's not the most formal of environments but I don't think I'd get away with it. Anyway before I completely hijack your thread; would they be suitable for weights (I don't do much cardio) as they don't look like they provide much ankle support? I know that's kind of the point but just wanted to ask. :P

What's your next reward purchase going to be then and what will you have accomplished to get there? :)

I have done squats and deadlifts to clean and jerks in KSO's with no problems. You really want to make sure you take it slow and that your form is good obviously. Your body will adapt itself to what works for it within the confines of good form so take it easy and let it happen.

Coolio. If I can afford it and I've gone to the gym twice a week every week between now and when I go I shall investigate getting some!

Thanks for the help all and Patricia keep up the awesome work! :)

Thanks inferiormadbeing :) You do the same!!

To answer your previous questions, the KSO is good for doing weights even though it's not supporting your ankle, your body will naturally form to what's most comfortable because you will have a better sense of balance. For the next rewards purchase, I'm building up points so I can get a discount off an airline ticket. I'm moving to Japan after I graduate, so I'm going to take advantage of outgoing flights from Tokyo to Thailand or Australia :D