Forums are back in action! ×

Another rebel in the fold

Hello All,

To break my habit of lurking and being unaccountable or unknown, here’s my introduction.  I’m a 41 year old father of 5, I work in IT as a network engineer, am currently working on completing my degree and let myself get REALLY out of shape and put on allot of unhealthy weight (236.8 pounds).   Ten years ago I was serving in the military, leaving for Iraq and a very healthy and active 182 pounds, during the course of the year there I started smoking again and when I returned home I let myself become sedentary and honestly plain old lazy.  I realized I had become so unfit that I wasn’t really playing with my kids much anymore and my weight and low fitness level was preventing me from enjoying life in general.  I knew I had to make some changes, long story short I’ve ended up here. 

My main goal is increase my fitness level and lose weight as a result.

I’ll measure my level by the following standards which are pretty specific to my interests:

Perform 25 consecutive pull-ups

Perform 100 consecutive push-ups

Squat 300 pounds

Deadlift 300 pounds

Run two miles in under 14 minutes

Complete Cross-Fit workouts in reasonable times

Earn my black belt in karate

As a beginning I’ve started to track my workouts of three days a week.  I haven’t adopted a full paleo or primal diet but I’m cutting out as much processed food as possible while increasing the quality of the food I eat and quit drinking soda completely.  I’ve also started taking karate classes and being more active.  Quitting smoking will be a big one and I am working toward that now, I’ll be setting a date soon. 

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2

Hi jammon1372, it seems you've set your goals, they seems very challenging, but if you know you're capable of reaching them, do it!

I recently quit smoking, for me, it was a mind over matter, I just told myself to stop and one morning woke up and threw the rest in the garbage and stopped. I must've been the most irritable person for a few weeks, but everyone managed to cope!

DO IT!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Archived