Forums are back in action! ×

Spartan Race

Has anyone ever completed a Spartan Race and would you recommend it? I'm thinking about doing it either this year or next year. I'm doing my first 5k race this year so I figured, why not go full out?

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

I'm doing one this summer.

I did several obstacle course races last year.  My advice? 

DO IT!!!!  But do it to have fun.  Take a friend or two or 10.  The biggest groups had the most fun.  I did my first one with 3 other people and we had an absolute blast.

You only have to run a bit before an obstacle and then a bit, obstacle, etc.  So you won't have to run the full 5K without stopping.

You'll have so much fun!!!!  DO IT!

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

They're a lot of fun.  I've done 3 spartan races (2 sprints and the beast) but I tend to run other races now.  Spartan is well put together but they really charge a lot of their races.  Doing the Superhero sprint next month for half the cost.

Well, I'm definitely doing it then! It is a lot of money.. Have you got any advice training wise? I'm training for my first 5k and then after that, I'll have 2 months to do whatever training is best.

Level 2 Gladiatrix-in-Training

Spartan Warrior 

STR 8; DEX 4; STA 4.75; CON 5; WIS 2.75; CHA 4.5

"A man must accept his fate, or be destroyed by it."

"Do or do not, there is no try."

Push-ups, pull-ups, bear crawling... That's a good start. Again, you'll run just a bit and climb something, run a bit and crawl, etc. so sprints are good. You won't run 5k non stop.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Never done it. My longest obstacle race was about 5.5 mi with tough obstacles. This will be my first spartan this year.

Do the death race!!!!

I AM going the distance

Warrior Dash is a blast! I've done it 2x and am signed up for this Sept in Missouri. Cline is right...have FUN!

I have a weak arm and was able to do all obstacles except pulling myself over the flat wall...I couldn't hold on to the rope - that wall is my goal for this year!

Training? Like I said, I did it with a bum arm...I've never done a Spartan but Warrior Dash obstacles were just pure fun!

How is the Beast? Pixie is trying to convince me I should do it. And from the looks of it it is no worse than a GORUCK challenge. 

GORUCK is likely much worse than the beast.  I'll tell you next month when I GORUCK in Manchester, NH.  I finished the Beast in about 8.5 hours though a lot of that time was waiting for team mates or getting stuck in long lines.

GORUCK is likely much worse than the beast.  I'll tell you next month when I GORUCK in Manchester, NH.  I finished the Beast in about 8.5 hours though a lot of that time was waiting for team mates or getting stuck in long lines.

Yeah that's what I thought. I did my GRC in 12 hours and 18.5 miles so that's close to an 8 hour Beast. 

The question is will other Warriors laugh at me for running o.O

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Yeah that's what I thought. I did my GRC in 12 hours and 18.5 miles so that's close to an 8 hour Beast. 

The question is will other Warriors laugh at me for running o.O

Warriors never laugh.  (they do secretly snicker)

I AM going the distance

For some reason it popped into my head that it's be a GREAT idea to try and do a Spartan Sprint at the end of the year.  I know there are a chunk of Rebels in Boston, so anyone want to fill me in on the Fenway Spartan run (I live in Medford, so it's easy enough to hop a bus and get into the city)?  I'm not sure if I can actually make it though if I do, given my current fitness level, but I think if I were to start training relatively soon, by November I should be okay.  Or at least okay enough that I won't curl up dead if I do the damned thing.  But I would kind of like to have some idea of what my brain seems to be pushing me towards....

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Neither!  Medford, MA! :tongue:

It takes me all of 20 minutes to get to the T from my apartment to let me jump into Boston proper.  What can I say, I'm a suburbanite.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I signed up to do a Spartan Sprint Race in Malibu on the 7th of December.  I figured it would be a good into into off road course type races.  I want to get the Spartan Trifecta in 2014 (Completing all 3 spartan races in one year)  I also might try to run a Tough Mudder in Tahoe.

My sister and her husband have run the Tough Mudder, and her husband on brother have done the Spartan Beast race.  They love them.  It sounds like a load of fun to me.  I am really overweight and out of shape, so I am hope signing up for one gets me motivated to train for them :)

I just completed my first Spartan Sprint about a week ago (Texas) and it was awesome.

I'd say without a moments hesitation to enter one if you can.  Here is my advice from my recent experience.

• Do it with a partner or a group.  The support definitely helps and some of the obstacles can be a little tough on your own especially if you're a little gassed.
  • Sign up early to save cash.  It also makes you accountable because they don't offer refunds so you pretty much have to train.  Money can be a good motivator sometimes.
  • My girlfriend wore trail shoes and I wore Adidas Adizero Feathers and she definitely had it a bit easier.  I lost my footing a few times in the mud.
  • The beer afterward (if you're a drinker) will be one of the best beers you'll ever have.
  • Book your hotel as soon as you sign up if you can (if you're traveling).  I waited and had to get a room in a neighboring town.  It wasn't a far drive but still, just a tip. 

If you do sign up just know that you're in for an awesomely fun time.  I'm super proud of my finishers medal.

Visit my nerd blog at www.nerdforce5.tumblr.com

View our original comedy sketches at www.youtube.com/ghostconnectiontv

• The beer afterward (if you're a drinker) will be one of the best beers you'll ever have.

having done the Ba'taan Death March- and you get a free beer (it was something fucking atrocious like Miller Lite).... I fully 110% concur with this.

It really IS one of the best beers you'll ever have. 

Hmmm.....  I seem to now have multiple people to get my ass in gear to do this thing.  Only issue I now see is that the Fenway one in November is a time trial.  That would be a no-no for me.  At least not as a first one, I think.  But I may have to start planning accordingly now.

I did the Spartan Sprint in PA last year, and am doing it again this summer on July 13th---I think it's going to be the anchor of my 6 week challenge.

It was literally the hardest physical thing I've done--I'm over the hill and out of shape now, but harder than wrestling and football 2/days as a teenager.  Most of it was actually super fun, and I have a pretty badass 2 inch scar from the barbed wire.

The worst part--carrying a sandbag down and back up a double black diamond ski slope.  I actually bought a sandbag just to train for that part of it.  Also would recommend doing it with friends--some of the obstacles (esp. climbs) are easier to deal with as a team.

Have fun!

"The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start."  John Bingham

Level 1 Ranger, Str 4, Dex 1, Sta 2, Con 2, Wis 3, Chr 3

We created a team Nerd Fitness for the Spartan Sprint in Fenway Park in mid November of this year, in case anyone is interested in joining Nightlight, myself, and whoever else I can talk into it... aka TinMan and a few others. 

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

We created a team Nerd Fitness for the Spartan Sprint in Fenway Park in mid November of this year, in case anyone is interested in joining Nightlight, myself, and whoever else I can talk into it... aka TinMan and a few others. 

So.... I live just north of Boston in Medford.  Think a horribly misshapen monk might survive the Sprint at Fenway?  I'm slightly concerned that it's Time Trial, since I haven't done it before.

So.... I live just north of Boston in Medford.  Think a horribly misshapen monk might survive the Sprint at Fenway?  I'm slightly concerned that it's Time Trial, since I haven't done it before.

Mayhaps you are under the impression that Warriors like running? We don't, me in particular.

I struggled but I enjoyed every moment of it. Grab the living social 50% off coupon and sign up, immediately.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...