Forums are back in action! ×

Hello all. I am Joethebull

Trying to get back into fitness and exercising after a pretty bad depression (I tend to get around my birthday) threw me off.  I was 239 lbs back in August and got as low as 210 lbs (but got kind of stuck around 214-215 lbs) in Febuary.  I have gained back to 224 lbs.  My original goal was to be under 200 lbs by April 30th (my birthday).  But that failed as you can see.  I am still trying to figure out my new fitness goals at the moment and still haven't chosen a class since I am not sure which one fits my mentality best.

monk level 1

Str 3

sta 2

dex 2

con 4

wis 3

cha 1

Hi Joe, welcome to the rebellion.

What makes you a rebel, brother?

I am a bit of a geek of all trades.  Anime, sci fi, science, history, languages, human evolution, and so many more interest that I can't even keep track of them.  But I was a bit of a fitness geek as a little kid.  But I was some what weak and with over protective family constantly offering advice and concerns, I kind of didn't improve much as years went by and eventually abandoned hope so many times.  My soda drinking and eating habits just made thing worse.  But thanks to anime, such interest in exercise, martial arts, and wanting to no longer be fat and weak came back. 

monk level 1

Str 3

sta 2

dex 2

con 4

wis 3

cha 1

Hi buddy !

State your objective, state your plan, we'll put it together with you

There are many things that can be done, and some of them that WILL be done !!! you heard us ? :)

My main objectives is to increase physical strength, endurance, flexibility.  Ideally I would like to train in a martial art again, but time factors causes problems with that. 

My current plan is doing a basic workout of 30 sec of push ups, 30 sec of toe touches(not the stretch. the sit-up like exercise), 30 sec of squats, and 30 sec of high knees as a round and a 30 sec- 1min rest between each round. I am doing that every other day until I can do a full week(3 to 4 days) of 3 rounds.  I am also doing stretches before and after the work out and stationary bike for 10 mins to warm up.  I am currently trying to do 10 min a day stationary bike every day and throw in a long walk on some days.  Also plan to take a yoga class and try to incorporate some of the poses into my stretching.

After being able to do the full 3 rounds for a week.  I am still undecided whether to do the 10 week basic program from the book you are your own gym, develop a hybrid type workout with body weight exercise and weights, or just go weights.

I would like to do at least one pull up before the end of summer and get under 200 lbs before August(or just lose the body fat since I am unsure how much the muscle gain is going to make me weight).

Diet wise.  I am working on reducing my soda intake again, which so far is doing pretty good.  Bought a soda yesterday and lost the desire to drink it.  I am also attempting to incorporate more vegetables into my diet and avoid eating hoagies like I have been doing the past month.  Also trying to cut down on candy and ice cream, but that one is a little harder.  I have a bit of a sweet tooth.  I am also keeping track of my eating with myfitnesspal.com.  I am joethebull on that as well and tracking my workouts on fitrocity.com.

I am also going to try to meditate everyday to try and keep the depression at bay.  Unfortunately in the past it has only slowed it down.  But I am also seeing a psychologist so that may just help slow it down some more.

Well that's my current goals and plans.  I know they need a bit of fine tuning but I am still trying to figure out what I really want fitness wise.  I would like to be the strong, powerful, and hard to kill Bull that some (for some reason) see me as.  Especially since my leg muscles were injured because a personal trainer thought I was stronger then I was.  Would have helped to be as strong as I looked back then.

monk level 1

Str 3

sta 2

dex 2

con 4

wis 3

cha 1

Sounds like a good program.

Structure is definitely good, be sure to increase reps / time / difficulty of the exercise when you feel at ease

About diet, some easy pieces of advice can be really helpful like replacing all carbs with the whole version

No more white rice, white bread, or white sugar, but whole rice, whole pasta, whole bread... sparkling water instead of soda (bubbles make you feel you're drinking soda)...

If I may, I do not know about depression, but I know helping others can make oneself feel good and useful

If you have a little time, perhaps you could try volunteer. I can't garantee it make depression disappear, but trust me, you'll feel good, useful and see yourself with a better eye, because the people you'll help will look at you with kindness... When I was younger, I made holiday animation for children (about 10-12 year old) and it was that great !

Keep on going, you're on a good track !

Saiyan in preparation - level 1 : http://streetworkout-france.fr/?p=1230

Drow Monk-Assassin

Intro post

My Battle log

Archived