Forums are back in action! ×

What would you do during the zombie apocalypse?

So my friend and I are having a heated discussion about the Zombie apocalypse. He says that it would be better to find a safe place (like a prison), to fortify it as much as possible and to wait it out. If a zombie horde were to attack his camp he would then be properly prepared to take care of them. I on the other hand think that it would be better to move around in a small group and be ready to leave camp/house (wherever we are currently staying) at a moments notice, and to avoid as many zombies as possible (with the use of scouts) 

So I was wondering, what would you do during the zombie apocalypse?

Knowledge is power, hide it well

grab the pre-made survival bags.  No place is 100% safe, so I would have hotspots planned out.  I would most likely try to hole up into a large area that has a flat top roof.  That way crops can be grown without ever having to deal with the horde.  you need a long-term plan as well as a short-term.

I would eat all the bacon.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

In my day job I'm an Emergency Planning Officer, so I'd probably be involved in the response!

(We have had freedom of information of requests before asking if we have a zombie pandemic plan! It's a difficult question to answer though as it depends on the type of zombie and if the disease is transferable.)

Ok lets keep it simple for now. The zombies will be your average type walker, meaning slow and stupid and no mutations. The disease is spread via bites and scratches. 

And as a side note, there is no more bacon left because someone ate it all. :playful:

1. premade gear bag

load vehicle with gas/gas cans/bicycles

dump all the containers from the back yard onto vehicle to make it dirty as hell, remove license plates

ditch cell phones, use emergency anonymous burner phones

secret rendezvous point (yes we have one, no i'm not sharing)

be oh so thankful that I grew up hunting, fishing, farming and foraging

make my own bacon. can't forget bacon.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Wow... I doubt that your rendezvous point would be of any help to me :playful:  Why ditch all the cell phone?

Because they are gps enabled and traceable. Not something I would want to be when things go to pot. 

NO BACON?!??

I think I'd rather die and be a zombie than live in a world with no bacon

Bacon is easy to make, its the pig that will be hard to catch.

Human Adventurer

I think it really depends on whether the zombies need sustenance to survive and whether they have limited shelf lives.

If they tend towards the construct/necromancy/negative energy archetype, you're pretty much screwed if you wait them out since they last forever. Better to escape to the wilderness.

If they need to eat and rot in the sun, well, maybe its better to bunk up in a fortified area and defend it till they die out.

Also, it would be important to find out if the infection can spread to non-human entities. If yes, then its really the end for humanity since we'd be dealing very soon with zombie mosquitoes.

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

my god.... what kind of people and zombies eat all the bacon?  That's so wrong.  They are clearly demon spawn zombies.

Actually, I work at a place where I'd probably have to report and hunker down.  sucks.  That being said

1.  Send spousal unit to predetermined muster point.  Send spousal unit off with whatever he can pack in car re: food, etc.  make sure he brings some clothes, blankets, tarp, all sharp knives, etc.  On way, he is to raid community garden for wheel barrow (strap to top of car) and shovels, hoes, etc.  Also take whatever food he can. Take buckets and water.  Muster would be in a remote spot but not too far.  I would take my bike to work with a small go bag.  I might never make it to muster spot.

2.  If things go bad at work with the zombies (and they will at some point) - steal all I can re: supplies for use and barter.  Pack as much as possible into bike cages and go bag and start long slow slog to muster point.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

oh and along the way:  find the bacon

I AM going the distance

Guest Dirty Deads

I would assume since it's virus based that all biological/natural factors are still in place and zombies would eventually rot to death. I would have a little place in a mountain "mountain goat style and wait them out, climbing/walking to different parts to harvest my gardens and traps. For the first several weeks mobility would be key. After that time if it hasn't been contained you'd want to settle in somewhere.

May I suggest we add the fact that viruses/germs evolve at an amazingly accelerated rate and pork could become all zombified. Hell, a mosquito carrying tained blood could kill us all.

The problem with the fortified prison or even roving for supermarkets is it may just be a short term solution. What's your long term plan for food after a few years in the wasteland? Might need some sort of fortified farm where you can grow crops and chickens would be my guess. That is, unless chickens can become zombies, in which case you'll need to go vegan.

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Well if we're going down that route, what's stopping the plants from turning on us as well like this

:attack_of_the_killer_tomato.jpg

"A professional knows the limits of his knowledge. An amateur does not know the limits of his knowledge. A dilettante does not know that there are any limits to his knowledge." 

Supermarkets would at least get you enough calories to get through the winter, if you got to them soon enough. It wouldn't be a healthy winter, but it would be better than dead.

You would definitely want to raid the local library and garden shops early on. If you have a caffeine addiction horticultural gardens would be your only place to get coffee plants, though to be honest I would rather raid them for glass instead of fussy plants. Seeds are lighter and last longer by far, glass can be used to make cold frames so you can get greens most of the winter and earlier in the spring.

Animals that get you the most bang for your buck are things like goats and sheep. Donkeys are great for work animals. They have less demands than horses and most cows and can provide similar sustenance. Chickens are easy, though capturing a few pairs of ducks/geese would work just as well, and their feathers can be used to make fletchings.

I'm a bit of a cynic and am prone to thinking that even after the actual plague dies out (if it dies out) then there would still be a lawless society which would make hiding even more vital until you had a settlement with enough strength to defend itself against others.

Human Adventurer

Guest Dirty Deads

Shit! You're right! We could have an ATTAAAAAAACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOOOES!! I'm stocking up on herbicides!

I'm not going near supermarkets. I'm hitting petsmart. I should probably stockpile seeds beforehand so I don't have to fight the crowds. It'll be like Black Friday on crack...what? Just because a brutha black he gotta be on crack?

I'd ideally like to be near the ocean for fishing and gathering kelp/shellfish and for seaward mobility. Hopefully I don't get sucked down by some zombified goey duck.

Wow! Well lets just hope that the virus never jumps the species gap then. I guess that there are many things to take into consideration and it all depends on the type of zombies. Slow and dumb is one thing, but if they were runners (like in 28 days later) you would have a much harder time on the outside. 

Long term plan I have a place that's very secluded. And there is a fresh water supply running through it so that helps a lot!

If the virus jumps to plants or animals we're screwed. But we can make it even worse by adding clever runner zombies into the mix, like they would know how to open doors for example... try to survive that.

Mmmm, then we need to figure out what is causing the zombification in the first place. Might it be:

1. A mutagenic virus;
  2. a new type of cancer;
  3. a particular strain of rabies;
  4. Parasitic organisms
  5. sorcery/necromancy;
  6. nanomachines or similar technology;
  7. mind warping and hallucinogenic substances (i.e. perceived zombie apocalypse)
  8. aliens
  9. transdimensonal beings
  10. forced devolution;
  11. radiation induced changes;
  12. psychic powers; 

And so on and so forth :P

I couldn't find the image again, but I recall seeing a mock newspaper with the headline "Zombie Outbreak Halted Cold".  The sub header being something like "Crowd response was immediate as literally everyone has been preparing for this for years."

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I'm still stuck on bacon, sorry.

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

I'm still stuck on bacon, sorry.

without bacon, life is meaningless. 

I will eat the bacon and then await my fate.

I AM going the distance

Guest Dirty Deads

Mmmm, then we need to figure out what is causing the zombification in the first place. Might it be:

1. A mutagenic virus;
  2. a new type of cancer;
  3. a particular strain of rabies;
  4. Parasitic organisms
  5. sorcery/necromancy;
  6. nanomachines or similar technology;
  7. mind warping and hallucinogenic substances (i.e. perceived zombie apocalypse)
  8. aliens
  9. transdimensonal beings
  10. forced devolution;
  11. radiation induced changes;
  12. psychic powers; 

And so on and so forth :tongue:

Alternate #10: Human Evolution. Perhaps we think we're getting smarter, but maybe we are getting dumber. We ARE getting larger so perhaps we're getting hungrier and hungrier....our evolution will be our unvolution.

I do enjoy bacon, but i'm more looking forward to smoking a ton or fish.

Archived