Forums are back in action! ×

Posting on a Forum ≠ Comfort Zone

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for about a month now, and was previously unable to access the community section at work, but since I've changed work locations I am now free to step out of my comfort zone and try to get some help with this fitness stuff.

The past:

I've never been what you would call fit, but for a long time I looked fit and strong, then over the course of a couple years I gained about 100 lbs.

Since that point I've waffeled up and down about 30 lbs, never being able to feel fully comfortable or fit, and I've tried ALL KINDS of things.

I ran and ran and ran for a while, and while much more fit, I still never felt healthy or really lost any weight, also this caused me considerable back/leg/knee/everything pain.

So I've tried swimming and biking and spin classes and cardiolates and kickboxing and you name it, I was trying it out. But the results were the same, no real "gains" and no change in my body.

About 5 months ago, I saw some guys rocking the Smith machine in the gym, doing squats and decided I'd like to do that as well. Instead of jumping into it not knowing what to do, I started collecting underpants. But not too bad, I found a program that I liked pretty quickly, stronglifts 5x5, and QUICKLY fell in love with barbell training.

Ultimately it lead me to this website (Spezzy's story).

I really love strength training, and I've gotten so many compliments about the changes in my physique, although I've only gained weight (a little), my body composition has changed tremendously!

The reason I'm here posting now:

1. Although I really enjoy the program I've been working, I've also been doing it alone. No accountability, no one to ask questions to, no one for form guidance. I'd like to change that.

2. Last week I moved 7100.51 miles San Francisco to Adana, Turkey, and of course, I fell out of my routine. For the first time in 5 months I missed a workout, I didnt just miss a workout I missed 4. I need to find some motivation to get through this!!!

The first workout with new equipment, new faces and new EVERYTHING! was extremely hard. To top it off I jumped back in with the same weight progression, and am now more sore than I have been for this entire program.

The future:

I will be posting in the warriors forum looking for advice and community, and I hope to spend some time getting to know some of you folks around here!!

Sorry for the duration, I just realized this post is out of control!

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Str: 4 Dex: 2 Sta: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 3 Cha: 1

Hey, welcome :) the best thing I can tell you is set specific goals. That way, you can make a plan and schedule around it.

Set a (resonable) goal, and give yourself a date to have it completed by. Then, specifically state HOW you are going to achieve that goal.

For example, my goal is to be at 18% body fat percentage by 26/08/13. I will achieve this by strength training MWF, Interval Training TTH, and following the Paleo diet at close as possible.

STR: +3 || DEX: +1 || STA: +3 || CON: +2 || WIS: +4 || CHA: +2

alien, I do have specific goals right now:

1.5x BW squat (about 300lbs)

2x BW DL (about 400lbs)

I have been dominating toward this goal, but a recent speed bump didnt just slow me down, I feel like it derailed me. SOO, at this point I'm trying to wrap my mind around how to redesign the goals.

Your advice is a great reminder to keep a goal-oriented mindset, I just need to figure out how to get back underneath the iron!

sylkamaru, thanks for the welcome. I always have access to a gym (free membership through employer) so no matter where they send me I'll be able to do barbell training. I really LOVE how the program is quite simple and geared toward a beginner. 3 exercises, 3 days a week. At first I was embarrassed in the squat rack with 2.5lb weights on each side, straining for squat form, and seeing people eyeball me from all around. But now, I'm one of the only people in the gym who puts on 2+ plates!

Level 1 Dwarf Warrior

Str: 4 Dex: 2 Sta: 3 Con: 2 Wis: 3 Cha: 1

Archived