Forums are back in action! ×

I have found my people!

So I stumbled across Nerd Fitness late last night when I was looking up info on paleo dieting, and have already become hooked!  I figured I might as well join the forums also, so here's my backstory and introduction. ^_^

I'm a 31 year old stay at home wife and student, about a year away from graduating with a degree in secondary education in biology.  I wasn't always the big fat nerd I am today.  When I was in high school, I always assumed that I was fat, but what teenage girl doesn't?  Looking back, I now realize that I was in great shape at the time, and if i was overweight at all, it was because of the extra muscle mass I built up in marching band.  Unfortunately, I never really payed all that much attention to my health or fitness, so when my metabolism started to slow down in my early 20s, my eating habits didn't change so the weight slowly started to creep up.  By the time I got married at 26, I was pushing dangerously close to 400 lbs.  

I've managed to stop the weight gain, but after 5 years of yoyoing and killing myself with strange diets, fasts, cleanses, and supplements, I've finally made the realization that what I need isn't another diet, it's a lifestyle overhaul.  On top of all of this, about 4 weeks ago, my husband (who is only 37) had a stroke that left him without the use of his left hand and eye.  Now whenever I heard about someone in their 70s or 80s having a stroke, it was sad and unfortunate, but when it happens to someone so close to me (both emotionally and chronologically), it's terrifying.  Once the round after round of hospital stays and doctors visits were over with, we were left with the conclusion that outside of physical therapy, the best thing that we could do for both of us was to embrace a lifestyle of healthy eating and healthy living.  So here I am! ^_^

Okay, enough heavy stuff.  On to the nerd credentials!  I love Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, Firefly and Lord of the Rings, D&D, WoW, Game of Thrones, Star Trek, Star Wars, and about a trillion other things that don't even come to mind right now.  My favorite authors are David Eddings, C.S. Lewis, and Mercedes Lackey.  On a -slightly- less nerdy note, I'm also obsessed with Fedor Emelianenko and Ronda Rousey (amazing MMA fighters, for those who don't follow it).  Uhm, yeah that's pretty much me in a nutshell.  ^_^ Any questions?

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Congratulations on taking the first steps to change your life. I starting making changes Feb 17 with an attempt at a Whole30...I wasn't able to make it 100% but enough to notice positive differences in my life, mood, body. Enough to keep going Paleo about 90/10.

My only advice is to make small changes...too much at once just screams failure...baby steps really add up.

Good luck to you!

Guest Dirty Deads

Welcome! I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That story hits close to home for me as my doctor told me if I didn't get my diabetes under control I would have a stroke within 5 years...that was 13 years ago.

I love Ronda Rousey too, although I still consider her a Judo Goddess even though she moved on to MMA

sweetleaf:  thanks for the encouragement!  I'm going to the store in the morning to get enough paleo-friendly food to stock the fridge with to give a Whole30 a shot :)

evil midnight bomber (what bombs at midnight!): My husband has a strong family history of diabetes and every time we go to a new doctor, they are shocked to learn that he doesn't have it (yet).  The promising part of all of this is that the kind of stroke he had is apparently very receptive to physical therapy, and he should be able to get enough use of both his arm and his eye to be able to drive again eventually. 

I had actually never heard of Ronda Rousey until Joe Rogan had her as a guest on his podcast one day, and I totally developed a girl-crush on her!  She's so amazing, I'm looking forward to getting in to boxing (and judo, if I can find a decent place to train around here) within the next few months.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I live in a family with a well-documented history with diabetes and heart conditions, so I fear I will get something hereditary, if I do not act on the spot. I'm already at the point where a steep incline challenges me, so I have decided to just change how I live. With a move to a new home, I hope I will get there.

Also, how cool is Daenerys?! I love her and Arya.

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

Haha I've seen myself when reading your first sentences.

The nerdsfitness call is like a siren call :)

Sorry for your husband, hope to both of you to get the best from a bad situation...

FEDOOOOORRRRR !!!!! you got yourself a friend here with another Fedor's fan

Best fighter ever !

So, welcome, and looking forward to hear about your evolution

Saiyan in preparation - level 1 : http://streetworkout-france.fr/?p=1230

Drow Monk-Assassin

Intro post

My Battle log

WriterGuy: I'm a firm believer in a person's ability to overcome their family history.  It sounds like you're already headed in the right direction! ^_^ And omg I LOVE Danerys!  I'm so pleased with how well the TV show has portrayed her, i was super worried about it when i first heard it was going to be made into a show.

sylkamaru:  Thanks, we're both using this as a catalyst to effect major changes in our life, hopefully permanent ones!

Yes, I believe so. The past is in the past and I have my own path to walk. Hope I can achieve it here.

AND yes, Clarke has done an impressive job, though I have yet to read the books. I'm waiting for Martin to finish the series, so I can read them one after the next for maximum pleasure. A bit of a masochistic wait, but I think I can deal with it.

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

Archived