Forums are back in action! ×

Super Soldier!

Hi Everyone!!

So I stumbled upon this blog last week randomly by coming across the Spider-man Workout Plan and I've been blown away every since!! This is exactly the type of fitness community that I've been looking for and the concept of leveling up your life is amazing!

Fitness for me isn't necessarily new, its mostly just a struggle. I've played sports and exercised since I was little, but I have the habit of falling away from my routine and eating unhealthy foods. My weight has fluxuated between 190 and 225 lbs. in the last several years mostly on the high end. I've been in the National Guard for several years and in a  few months I will commission as a 2nd Lieutenant, but I feel like I could be in better shape! My PT test score is usually a 280 out of 300, but I am always borderline for body fat percentage.

My Ultimate Victory:

Become that Bad*** guy you imagine when you think about Green Berets!

Battle Plans:

Embrace Paleo

Cut my weight to 190 lbs. and BF% to ~15%

Compete in a Tough Mudder or Warrior Dash

Look like a boss at my wedding in September!!

I also love how NF embraces mental and emotional health as well. I'm going to be doing my best to adapt its principles to become the most productive and emotionally healthy spec ops soldier to exist!! Let my Epic Quest of Awesome Begin!!

Welcome Chasemit, and thanks for your service! As I get in shape I'm starting to realize that the National Guard is a real option, but I think in the end I'm too chicken to become a badass like yourself. :)

Your battle plan looks great, best of luck rockin' them goals!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

welcome.  You might want to get ready for the next 6-week challenge as a kick in the butt.  If you're going to do paleo- make sure you read up on some recipes.  just a little knowledge on a few dishes can make the transition a lot less painful than it has to be.

Hey welcome! I'm an active duty Army officer myself. I will say self motivation is the biggest help to your PT. Army PT almost always sucks, as they try to get everyone in a group to do the same thing to the same standard, and there was never really any progression. I could never really improve on myself through that.

Best of luck to you- you have some big events this year with commissioning and the wedding! Keep your eye on the prize, work towards those goals! I always saw fitness as a struggle too, and was also over weight and borderline on the BF test. It wasn't until I set myself a goal and did it for me (not just the Army) that I got to be 10 pounds below screening weight. If you're here now, you have the motivation, and you can do it.

Check out the Nerd Fitness 6-week challenges too- the next one starts on June 3, and I bet you can start making some changes :)

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Thanks everyone for the support! I've got the paleo cookbook and I check the iWod app for recipes. Mostly I need to convince my significant other to stay away from all the pasta (which I secretly love, too)!

Thanks for the advice, sir! I'm definitely excited about the next challenge!! I'm ready to level up myself!

being italian, pasta was always a big deal.  you might want to try spaghetti squash if you never have before.  cut it in half, use a spoon to scoop the stringy stuff (like a pumpkin), then drizzle some olive oil on it and flip it open-faced down.  when it's done, flake it with a fork and it looks and tastes like short cut spaghetti.  42 calories and a life saver.

Semper Fidelis brother!  Good luck with your goals, and congrats on your commissioning!  It's interesting to be in the military and still struggle with fitness, but group PT is almost never enough for actual progress.  Good Luck!

Level 1 Nord Ranger

Stats: TBD

Runkeeper | MyFitnessPal

Archived