Forums are back in action! ×

Just keep trying, Lavendarcat! I've quit and restarted so many times, but so long as you keep trying, that's what matters most.

And for the record, 9 days smokefree for me thus far! Shit's about to get hard though, as it's field-time once for me: definitely going to have to get creative with my stay-smoke-free strategy. I'll let you guys know what I come up with, in case it helps someone else.

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Sorry for cross-posting from ny challenge thread but I wanted to give my quitting buddies a heads up :)

I end up quitting yesterday around 1PM Central.  I ran out of tobacco, already had my patches and couldnt see any reason not to start then.  I have been smoke free since then :)  The patches are really helping with the physical addiction/withdrawal and allowing me to focus on the mental habits and cravings but I've been kicking those cravings in the ass so far.  

Evicious, you can beat the boredom and chaos of the field!!! We're all behind you!

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2

Hey guys! I'm on a temporary break from the field, so I'm here to report: STILL NO CIGARETTES!!!! :D :D :D

Been keeping all of you in mind while I'm out there, chewing a lot of gum, and getting into hourly firefights with Geronimo helps occupy my mind as well. XD

Jammon1372, how's going? I'm rooting for you!

Keep up the momentum!

Hello again, NF! I am finally back from the field. I am ashamed to say that it was not a total success on the no-smoking front - I caved once during the final 5 days during a ridiculously and needlessly difficult confrontation over soldier welfare with my higher-ups, over which I was fired as squad leader and told I would face official consequences (I was later reinstated and the official consequences were rescinded)... Can't say it was worth it though: up until that point I was one of the few out there who had yet to fall ill in any way, and immediately following it I lost my voice almost entirely (I'm still hoarse and squeaky).

So, about a 90% success overall.

Anyhoo, that's my update. How's it going with the rest of the quitters? :)

Keep up the momentum!

Guest Dirty Deads

Hello again, NF! I am finally back from the field. I am ashamed to say that it was not a total success on the no-smoking front - I caved once during the final 5 days during a ridiculously and needlessly difficult confrontation over soldier welfare with my higher-ups, over which I was fired as squad leader and told I would face official consequences (I was later reinstated and the official consequences were rescinded)... Can't say it was worth it though: up until that point I was one of the few out there who had yet to fall ill in any way, and immediately following it I lost my voice almost entirely (I'm still hoarse and squeaky).

You can only fight one battle at a time. Sounds like you picked the right one and still didn't lose the other. You're still standing and still fighting. WTG!

90% is really good!!! Dont let the one slip beat you down into giving in :)  I'm still pulling for you.  Today is day 17 of being smoke free for me :)

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2

90% is really good!!! Dont let the one slip beat you down into giving in :)  I'm still pulling for you.  Today is day 17 of being smoke free for me :)

AWESOME!!!!! Keep it up! I haven't smoked again since - even when I've had plenty of motive to do so. So proud and happy to hear you're doing great as well! :)

Keep up the momentum!

I went another route with my quit. After about 15 years of huffing 200+ assorted carcinogens, carbon monoxide, and psychoactives I went the electronic route. They're made up of USP grade propylene glycol, USDA grade flavorings, and nicotine. They make a real cigarette taste like sucking on a burning turd, and leave me breathing better than I have in years. My lifts are stronger and recovery is quicker, too. If you end up falling off the wagon look into them. They are not as good as complete abstinence by a longshot, but they are far better than the coating of tar, suppressed testosterone, and elevated carboxyhemoglobin from the real thing.

Eventually I'll taper off the nicotine to nothing but keep it around for when I'm feeling weak. Huffing some glycol and something yummy tasting (chai tea at the moment) will be a lot healthier and cheaper than getting back in the habit of killing myself.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"