Forums are back in action! ×

Whose got the 'hawk??

I-Jo

I was working graves and I had my Hawk cut just before I graduated. Even after a fight with HR I still got told to cut it. Certain industry are still old school shirt and tie, and no matter what hours you keep you need to look like a good representative for the company..... That's why I am working Days in the same place with cut hair, button down, Cube life. But the place is good, bills get paid, and I can still be punk rock in my mind. Probably the only guy here listening to the Casualties on my headphones.

" We can do a hell of a lot more damage in the system than outside of it" Stevo, SLC PUNK

Ah, that sucks, but I can understand it.  If someone stops giving your company business because of the way you look (within reason I suppose, like something that isn't based on race/other things out of your control) then I can see them doing that.

Particularly if you're in a shirt/tie company.  Our VP's and senior folk wear ties (some of them) but I just wear khakis/button down/golf shirt/knit sweater kind of stuff, no jackets and ties for me.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

STR 4|DEX 2.6|STA 5.8|CON 8|WIS 2|CHA 3

MyFitnessPal|My Endomondo

yeah- definitely a double standard here where I work. Fortunately it's a gub-ment job- which means while you can "suffer" for it- you can always claim a grievance and or fight with unions (not a fan) but our secretary is casual as hell- despite the fact we aren't casual- today she is wearing a tank top... and my boss was like- that's not a tank top.  

I WAS LIKE YES IT MOTHERFUCKING IS.

Regardless- she "pushed" for casual Friday's- except none of my peers- dress down- they dress the exact same way- which means- I have to dress- the exact same way- which isn't dressed down.   unfairly though they wear boring shirts and pants- I look like a rag-a-muffin like that. Most of the time I enjoy being dressed up- but some days- no thanks.  I'd like to sport some nice casual clothes.

I have a button V henley on today- and I feel obscenely under dressed- even in a skirt and heels. 

yeah- definitely a double standard here where I work. Fortunately it's a gub-ment job- which means while you can "suffer" for it- you can always claim a grievance and or fight with unions (not a fan) but our secretary is casual as hell- despite the fact we aren't casual- today she is wearing a tank top... and my boss was like- that's not a tank top.  

I WAS LIKE YES IT MOTHERFUCKING IS.

Regardless- she "pushed" for casual Friday's- except none of my peers- dress down- they dress the exact same way- which means- I have to dress- the exact same way- which isn't dressed down.   unfairly though they wear boring shirts and pants- I look like a rag-a-muffin like that. Most of the time I enjoy being dressed up- but some days- no thanks.  I'd like to sport some nice casual clothes.

I have a button V henley on today- and I feel obscenely under dressed- even in a skirt and heels. 

Yeah, the other part of it is - not jeans+button down shirt = acceptable for guys at the office.  There are so many other combinations for women that its not quite as simple.  Black dress pants and a nice shirt or skirt and something else on top (this is pretty much the limit of my knowledge of women's clothes).

But really, skirt+heels+not an inappropriate top = more dressed up than khakis + button down shirt.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

yeah- unfotuatley it's definitely a "look" that doesn't work well for me- and I can tell- it just feels way more casual. 

I wear it to go in the field.  I have no problem being super femme fatale though. :D

fuck corporate people- I wear back seam stockings and all sorts of high heels.  

yeah- unfotuatley it's definitely a "look" that doesn't work well for me- and I can tell- it just feels way more casual. 

I wear it to go in the field.  I have no problem being super femme fatale though. :D

fuck corporate people- I wear back seam stockings and all sorts of high heels.  

Hah, my field garb is old free tshirts, carharts and work boots.  Although, my home workboots bit the dust, so my work workboots are going to become my home workboots and I'm going to get a pair of those Blundstone no laces workboots.  My coworker tells me this is pretty much the same as putting on a white hard hat, but I'm ok with that.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

yeah I worked in the field full time- so that's what I wore. 

But now going out in the "field" means walking around on teh side of an existing road. so it's not nearly as serious.

LOL at the white hard had- I spent time mudding mine up before I even got out of the office. I'm not going to be "that guy" LOL

So, I have a lot of experience in this department. How long is your hair? I have nev er had a problem washing out Elmer's glue. But I also dont like using it further than an inch or two up the roots. It makes an excellent structural base to get all the hairs at the botom together and ready to support the top. But after that I work my way up using lighter products and blow drying them as quickly as possible. I find this helps control the weight of the hawk and then you dont end up with a limp hawk in 5-6 hours. Egg whites are kinda heavy too. good for a base. Then maybe you could use glue on the second lair if the egg whites will support it.

yeah I worked in the field full time- so that's what I wore. 

But now going out in the "field" means walking around on teh side of an existing road. so it's not nearly as serious.

LOL at the white hard had- I spent time mudding mine up before I even got out of the office. I'm not going to be "that guy" LOL

The architects in my office hide their hardhats from my boss. She is a compulsive cleaner, and always about showing the brand.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Ha, right now I wear a bright orange one (law here is that you have to have high colour or high vis stickers on your hard hat) with the company logo on the front.  Takes me a while to get to most sites, so when I got it I just threw it in the box of the truck and by the time I got to where I was going it was "antiqued" enough.

Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger

So, I have a lot of experience in this department. How long is your hair? I have nev er had a problem washing out Elmer's glue. But I also dont like using it further than an inch or two up the roots. It makes an excellent structural base to get all the hairs at the botom together and ready to support the top. But after that I work my way up using lighter products and blow drying them as quickly as possible. I find this helps control the weight of the hawk and then you dont end up with a limp hawk in 5-6 hours. Egg whites are kinda heavy too. good for a base. Then maybe you could use glue on the second lair if the egg whites will support it.

it is roughly 5-6 inches long- I have a 4-5" mini pony with the hair on the top of my head currently-  and it's pretty thick. I haven't gotten to blow try it yet- but it holds up well to teasing- except I iddn't want a fat hawk- I wanted a fan one. LOL

a fan hawk is hard with thick hair... cause there is only so much room to fan all of it out. make liberty spikes then wet the tips a little and tease away.it's like painting or sculpture....you gotta get the materials to use each starnd of hair as a building block for whatever design you are making. structural integrity depends greatly on the weight of product and hair versus gravity.

Archived