Forums are back in action! ×

Motivation

awmeyer629

Hey all,

I just wanted to start a conversation on how you continue to motivate yourself when you have multiple workouts when you just feel off and don't hit your goals.

For me, it's hard to stay motivated when I feel like I'm not hitting the marks I should be hitting.  I think being open about the lack of motivation is motivation for me to keep with it.

Please share your thoughts and stories with everyone.

Thanks y'all!

I'm a fat lazy slob if I don't go....Only slackers and losers skip workouts.

there for- there is no skipping workouts.  I do not skip work outs.  There is no motivation.  I just don't skip them.

That's pretty much it.  those two things.  

It helps (I think) I work at the gym.  And there are a TON of people who work there- who do not work out there.  or At all. It drives me nuts.  Even if you are in sales- you work in the fitness industry- it's sales- but you are still selling fitness- you should at least not be a fat ass.  Seriously.

And that's like 3/4 of the staff at my gym- it's insulting.  I refuse to be one of those people.  

I'm always chasing some shiny object or another (aka : goals)...deadlifting a few more pounds, the next progression of a static hold, a new pushup vareation, better squat form, more grip strength...the list is endless and even if I'm not specifically/directly working on a goal it still helps me to continue working out.

To find piece with myself
I must first find a piece of myself

I started to dread the beginner bodyweight workout, mostly because I hated the squats... I'd upped the reps until I got to 50 per set, and I hated it. I hated doing it, so I didn't want to up the reps any more, and I didn't feel like I was making progress. It really put me off and made me want to procrastinate or skip the entire workout. But then... DUMBBELL SQUATS! I do less reps and I actually feel the muscles working. That's all it took. Now I find that I'm excited to work out!

Another example, I felt like I wasn't making much progress with rows... and I began to dread them, too. Then I started focusing on working my back muscles more than the arms... and suddenly, I could do more! I then began to look forward to them again.

So, if it's a particular exercise that's putting you off, reevaluate that exercise and see if there's anything you can change. You may even start to look forward to them!

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

My first motivation is that I feel so much better when I exercise than when I don't...so when I don't feel like going I try to remember that the next day I am going to feel tired and even more unmotivated...

My second motivation is that I have lost 11 lbs since Feb 17th - and people are starting to notice :peaceful:

And Last but not least - I attend an exercise class 2x a week - there is accountability to be there and I don't have to plan the workout...I just do as I'm told that way I don't get into a rut of only doing the things that are easy for me.

Good Luck to you!

I remind myself that I'm not motivated to do the dishes or clean the litterbox, either, and they get done.

Either that, or I use the Circle of Procrastination.

Say I have a bunch of tasks that I don't want to do:  Dishes, Litterbox, Unpleasant Phone Call, Workout.

I do the dishes to procrastinate cleaning the litterbox.  I clean the litterbox to procrastinate working out, I work out to procrastinate the unpleasant phone call...and then I'm done with everything and I do what I was *actually* motivated to do, which is usually something like take a hot bath or play some video games.

Guest asdf

If I don't work out when I'm supposed to then I have effectively told myself that I don't value my health and well being and consent to living a second-rate life ridden with health issues and likely obesity, which is not ok.

I love the feeling of that body high that comes over you after completing a workout. Its a better sensation than any substance out there can create.

I workout because I know that things like depression and extreme levels of stress will return if I don't, and screw those things. They put you on a road to nowhere.

I remember how much better it feels after a workout, even during a workout, when compared to how crappy it feels when I don't work out. That, and I have a bunch of motivating pictures and slogans and things that I've printed out and put up on my wall. Pictures of people I would prefer to look like, pictures of people who have awesome tattoos and can show them off on awesome bodies. 

that girl writes

race: awesome/class: ranger

I post a lot on instagram

"You must do the thing you think you cannot do."

Make it fun e.g. by finding something that you enjoy, get a playlist of stuff going that gets you pumped, whatever that may be. Make yourself accountable (best with actual stakes), go for incremental progress, make tangible goals, get somebody to support you/hold you accountable if you haven't. Lots of things you can do, If you don't feel like it, start regardless - chances are you will be feeling like it once the blood gets flowing. (especially if you have some music to get pumped)

Also, if you feel you're not getting where you want to be it'd be an idea to track your progress or just up the difficulty. Use free weights? Up it. Heavy enough? Up the sets/reps depending on your goals. 'Bored' with your current workout? Have a routine framework you can build around and alternate. Are your exercises not doing it for you (anymore)? The internet has a millions of them with varying difficulties for you. Don't like sterile exercising? No problem, try out new EQ or just go for some sports directly. There are more than enough.

I mostly use the "just start" with a "get pumped" playlist. With Greg Pucatio or Andrew W.K. blasting out of the speakers I can't just sit there.

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.†- Vince Lombardi

Wolf, level 1 Vampire assassinSTR 2|DEX 3|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Wolfish Philosophy

Current challenge

My first motivation is that I feel so much better when I exercise than when I don't...so when I don't feel like going I try to remember that the next day I am going to feel tired and even more unmotivated...

Second! Albert Einstein said the most powerful force in the universe is compound interest.  The same can be applied to motivation or lack there of; it compounds!

Archived