Forums are back in action! ×

Backpacking in the United States

So I have had an idea for a few years that I would like to take a very very very long trip across the United States and get to learn my country a little bit. The more I think about it the more I like it but the method of doing it has always been something that I have been a little iffy of. Buses and planes are out just because of price and in ability to really experience places and cars are better but suffer from a lot of the same problems. But I think I have an idea finally.

Walking (for the most part).

It's more a pipe dream but then putting someone on the moon and stopping small pox was too, so I figure why not try and work toward it a little bit? My goal would be to walk from where I am (Maine) and walk along Route 1 where I can until I hit Key West. I'd make pit stops where I needed including all major cities, because hell might as well visit them while I'm there.

My question is besides the money this would take what else would people suggest I brush up on or places I stop by? Anything from foraging skills to that awesome pancake house off exit which ever. 

As a disclaimer if this does happen it will be years down the line I think.

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

1. With MegaBus now in the States, it's easier than ever to find affordable bus tickets to get from point A to point B. I understand this isn't what you're asking about, but it's definitely another option to check out (http://megabus.com)

2. How into nature are you? I know the Appalachian Trail begins in Maine and ends in Georgia, and takes about six months to complete (however, starting in Maine in March would be disastrous - you may have to wait until May or so). If you could complete that segment through nature, and walk the rest of the way through Georgia, it would be a much safer alternative than walking on highways and backroads all the way from Maine to Key West. Granted, you'd have to learn some new outdoorsy skills and what not, but you wouldn't have to necessarily buy any extra equipment. Most of what you'll need for a walking trip on backroads and highways, will also be necessary for the backcountry (sleeping bag and shelter). If you were to walk the AT, there are a ton of books with in-depth guides on how to best approach it.

Hope this helps.

Interested in traveling, personal wellness, and learning - currently blogging at travelnwellness.com

I've read that it's kind of a thing to bike Rt1 from Fort Kent to Key West.  It's way out of my league for time/money, so I've never really looked into it (except to find out that in Maine, there's a lot of alternate bike routes that are much nicer to ride).  But, I bet a lot of the info out there for cyclists would apply for pedestrians, too.

Another good resource might be info on backpacking in Europe, since most US backpacking is camping based instead of town-to-town.

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

I think I'll pick up a guide on back packing through Europe, it seems like they would have a lot of good advice.

As for the Appalachian Trail, that is a really good idea. I love nature and have been wanting to learn more outdoorsy skills for a long time and this would give me the excuse. I would need to stop periodically to visit some cities that I want to visit and even stop for a week or two here and there (read New York City, Washington DC, and a few others) but that would work out really well. 

Thanks for the advice you guys, had never considered that.

"Do it now."

dude, i have said for a long time that i would do what Forrest Gump did - take 4 years off and just run - except with walking. this sounds so awesome.

how would you feel about this idea evolving into a big NerdFitness walking quest? that would be amazing, amazingly fun and it would raise NF awareness across the country...literally!

Hans BraggartSideshow Freak AssassinSTR 8 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 3You should check out my press kit here - http://goo.gl/1PA5W

I think I'll pick up a guide on back packing through Europe, it seems like they would have a lot of good advice.

I used to live in England and actually backpacked through Scotland, Wales, and on to Northern Ireland. I went to Leeds Festival that summer and met up with a bunch of people who lived across the island/s. We kept in contact through the winter and come spring we had planned a trip for me to backpack my way from Mildenhall all the way up to Lurgan (near Belfast). For me the trick was meeting new people and developing friendships with them to the point where I made their places way points for me to visit and stay the nights at (with a few hostels in between). All in all it was really good fun and if you're going to do the AT then awesome! Otherwise I'd make a bunch of friends (whether through NF or other means) across the country and arrange for some meet ups and sleep overs. This way you get the local guide and a place to crash before moving on at little cost to you except for a good time with good people.

Hero's First Challenge, Again! - "I knew pig-moles were a bad idea..."

Who the hell do you think I am!?!

-Kamina, "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann"

Dai-Gurren Brigade's Hero

Lvl1 Human Ranger

STR3 DEX1 STA3 CON1 WIS1 CHA1

You might benefit from checking into youth hostels around the country. Plus you could use Meet Up to find groups hiking when and where you are. You could travel with them a bit and then keep going. If you bring a phone with GPS, there are Apps you can use for live feed as to where you are. Safe feeling for you and your loved ones and we Rebels can keep up with your antics.

Best of Luck,

Teti

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

dude, i have said for a long time that i would do what Forrest Gump did - take 4 years off and just run - except with walking. this sounds so awesome.

how would you feel about this idea evolving into a big NerdFitness walking quest? that would be amazing, amazingly fun and it would raise NF awareness across the country...literally!

I wouldn't mind it at all. It would be a big step for people to leave their lives for that long I think, the Appalachian Trail can take anywhere from five to eight months to travel in one go depending on various factors. Still some company would be appreciated.

I used to live in England and actually backpacked through Scotland, Wales, and on to Northern Ireland. I went to Leeds Festival that summer and met up with a bunch of people who lived across the island/s. We kept in contact through the winter and come spring we had planned a trip for me to backpack my way from Mildenhall all the way up to Lurgan (near Belfast). For me the trick was meeting new people and developing friendships with them to the point where I made their places way points for me to visit and stay the nights at (with a few hostels in between). All in all it was really good fun and if you're going to do the AT then awesome! Otherwise I'd make a bunch of friends (whether through NF or other means) across the country and arrange for some meet ups and sleep overs. This way you get the local guide and a place to crash before moving on at little cost to you except for a good time with good people.

Oh meeting new people would be awesome. Part of my slowly forming plan is to take time off and see the nights, the trail runs close to places like New York City, Washington DC, Atlanta Georgia, and others so I plan on visiting. So having a few people to stay with would be nice.

You might benefit from checking into youth hostels around the country. Plus you could use Meet Up to find groups hiking when and where you are. You could travel with them a bit and then keep going. If you bring a phone with GPS, there are Apps you can use for live feed as to where you are. Safe feeling for you and your loved ones and we Rebels can keep up with your antics.

Best of Luck,

Teti

The phone is an excellent idea. I'm going to start looking into some plans that would give me good coverage and reception across the country that way I do have an emergency button in case of things like bears or dangerous weather.

Luckily I have plenty of time. I've set the date of this the first spring after my 30th birthday, so roughly 6 years from now. Even have a few people who've said they might do it with me depending on where they are in life.

"Do it now."