Forums are back in action! ×

Help with Android OS cell phone debate

My conundrum is between two cellphones running Android.

The Motorola DroidX running Motoblur skin with Android 2.2 currently. This phone is nice and solid with a good size, great screen, and nice processor. The two issues is one being the Motoblur OS skin that I have heard isn't very good and two being the preloaded bloatware apps that I have read are uninstallable as part of normal use that also apparently automatically launch themselves and drain the battery. It apparently is possible to remove those apps but it involves rooting the phone which breaks the warranty. The next official update is rumored to even remove that possibility entirely too.

On the other hand is the Nexus S coming soon to Sprint. This has the most recent Android at 2.3 and is a pure Android Experience phone the way Google originally designed. This means no skins or extra non-removable apps. Also that the phone doesn't have to wait for manufacturers to tweak and skin future updates, instead getting them as soon as Google releases them.

I have a contract with Verizon that is ending soon so have to decide if switching carriers to Sprint and the Nexus S is worth it. Though the Sprint plan is $10 cheaper too.

Any help people with Android phone experience would be greatly appreciated.

We've been Sprint customers since they first began. (we had an original Pioneer plan from San Diego many many years ago) I'm a mac/palm now iPod Touch gal but hubby is an android developer and says the sprint one is a better Android port.

In my area of very rural Colorado the only Verizon service on our farm is if you are 6 ft tall and stand on the official "Verizon Stump" a large tree stump that gets you up high enough to maybe possibly get a single bar signal if all the gods are with you.

OTOH Sprint even works at the headgate of our ditch, several miles away from us and is also perfectly clear in the pasture with an arm up a sheep trying to call a vet for long distance help with the other hand while hubby is holding the ewe down and trying to pull her tongue to stop contractions. BTDT and trust me, speed dial is your friend!

I am now L minus 12 days and counting to the 2011 lambing, sheep are on the mind and also the various disasters from years past....

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Well this is a little embarrassing... Before paying my Verizon bill I was browsing the website and it turns out my actual contract doesn't expire until September of this year. Although I can upgrade my equipment earlier then that and I didn't know the distinction so just assumed that my contract was up without asking further when the store salesperson said I could upgrade. Ah well, I guess I have time now but still decisions to be made. Thanks to everyone so far and 1fever the Thunderbolt does look nice.