Forums are back in action! ×

New around these parts

Hey all,

I've been reading Nerd Fitness off and on for about a year now and decided it's time I finally join the forums. I've always struggled with my weight and have had hypothyroidism since birth, which I believe has affected my weight loss efforts at times. I struggled with an eating disorder in the past and have been wary of dieting since my recovery – calorie counting is a very easy thing to obsess over. However, it's been several years that I've considered myself recovered and I've realised that even though I was quite a bit thinner at certain points years ago, I was still never happy with how I looked and certainly wasn't healthy – no muscle, no tone, just "skinny fat".

Over the past few years my weight has gone up and down in the same 10-lb range and I've gone to plenty of gyms and fitness classes...just never really been in shape. I guess I've never felt truly comfortable in my body and reading this blog and Mark's Daily Apple in particular has shown me that it doesn't have to be this way. 

Anyway, a bit about me: I'm a 26-year-old New Yorker currently living in London, though I recently moved here after living in Istanbul for several years. I'm doing my Master's at the moment and am hoping to go into health policy once I finish up in September. I really enjoy learning languages and making music. I guess I will be out-nerded by a lot of people on this board, but I love "Game of Thrones" (books and TV series...though the show is taking off in strange directions that I don't especially like!) and Tolkien. Also, I sometimes enjoy messing around with datasets statistical software. Does that count? :)

Goals: I'm pretty pathetically weak at the moment and I'm not sure of my weight as I really dislike weighing myself. I'm 5'6" and probably around 62 kg, but I'm not really concerned with weight as much as other indicators. I'd like to" 

• Drop a dress size
  • Be able to do 10 push-ups without losing form
  • Do ONE pull-up. For now. (My arms are so weak!)
  • Start doing Crossfit regularly (I started with a foundation course yesterday)
  • Annnd in the general life category, start looking people in the eye more. For some reason it's always, always made me kind of nervous, which in turn makes other people nervous. It's gotten better, but I still really have to force myself to do it in certain situations. So yeah, that.

Anyway, that's all about me for now. Good to meet you all!

welcome.  I just started getting into game of thrones.  I'm on season 1 episode 7 so I have a long way to go to catch up before the season 3 finale.  def like drago and the blond woman with him. 

Looking people in the eye to me is almost intimidating.  I also just tend to multitask andwill talk to someone while I'm on the computer or doing my work.  It's just part habit and part comfort.  the worst is when I'm talking with someone and then a 3rd wheel shows up and talks too.  I was in mid-sentence and people usually just start blabbing.  Am I supposed to look at the person talking?  Am I supposed to look at the person I was originally talking to?  Should I just cut that person off while they're in mid-sentence?  Very awkward. 

Archived