Forums are back in action! ×

Replacement exercise

MissyMo87

I tend to be incredibly talented with injuring myself in stupid ways, like when I wake up, and have kept dislocating my knee recently. Today I finally popped my knee back into place after I ran into a piece of furniture. What exercise can I do in place of jumping jacks until my knee is 100%? 

I have popped my knee doing jumping jacks before.

Jigglypuff Adventurer

STR: 3.25    DEX: 3    STA: 3.5   CON: 3.75    WIS: 6    CHA: 4

Previous Challenges: 12

Well. How much does this knee issue bother you during other leg movements? Can you do mountain climbers? Squats? Squat jumps? Burpees? Those would all get your heart rate up, but if jumping jacks are hurting your knees, these might, too.

I wonder if your knee is at an awkward angle when you're doing jumping jacks. You could try adjusting which direction your feet are pointed, trying to align them with your knees. I've never actually thought about this, because it hasn't been an issue for me. But it might make a difference for you between pointing your knees/feet at a 45 degree angle or 90 degrees (forward, not out).

If you're okay with jumping, but jumping jacks are still hurting your knees, try switching to jumping rope. It's a great way to exercise/warm-up. There's a reason boxers have been doing it for decades.

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Thank you for responding. Actually now that my knee is back in place it bends fine so I want to avoid having it out of place.

Squats, mountain climbers don't bother my knee, but I'm worried the burpees might. Last time I popped my knee out I somehow managed to catch my foot during jumping jacks but didn't fall. I normally have my feet forward after my knee is a better I may try 45 degrees. I may try jumping rope just need to get one.  

Thank you again for your response I will try those until my knee is better. :)

Jigglypuff Adventurer

STR: 3.25    DEX: 3    STA: 3.5   CON: 3.75    WIS: 6    CHA: 4

Previous Challenges: 12

You're welcome! Take care of yourself, and if your knee is ever feeling weird, don't push it. (I've re-injured myself by not listening to my still healing body after an injury.)

“The world is indeed full of peril and in it there are many dark places.

But still there is much that is fair. And though in all lands, love is now

mingled with grief, it still grows, perhaps, the greater.â€

--J.R.R. Tolkien, "Return of the King"

"Are the gods not just?"

"Oh no, child. What would become of us if they were?"

--C.S. Lewis, "Till We Have Faces"

Archived