Forums are back in action! ×

Superhero in Training

So I've heard a ton of amazing things about this community in a few different places and after sifting through it a little I figured I would give it a try. 

So a little bit about me;

• I'm a 23 year old graduate student in computer science, which pretty much qualifies me as a nerd by itself. 
  • I'm currently obsessed with the Game of Thrones, I read the books before watching the show, and the books are better, and anyone who likes the show should read them.  
  • I used to be able to recite 100+ digits of pi, right now I can do at least 30.  
  • I want to eventually try the Paleo diet, but Im recovering from some broken bones and don't want to cut out dairy until I'm 100% healed. 
  • That being said I'm currently going to physical therapy once a week, my therapist is amazing though and I can do body weight squats, lunges, stairs, a lot compared to what I could do and enough where I can get a really great workout even though I am still somewhat limited(no running or jumping yet).
  • I've lost about 20lbs recently but seem a little bit stuck recently and hope to get unstuck and keep loosing some weight. (40 more lbs would be nice). 
  • I also want to be more productive and just level up my life in general, for example my next 30-day challenge is going to be to cut facebook to 1 hour or less a day. 

If anyone has a few minutes and could give me some suggestions on which forums would be the best for me to read, or articles in Steve's blog that are must-reads it would be really helpful. 

Level 2: Sasquatch Warrior

STR: 9 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 0 WIS: 8.5 CHA: 5

Challenges: Current June

Fitocracy 

well it is all about what your goals are.  you don't need to cut out dairy to be paleo exactly.  you can always follow a paleo-ish diet.  I mean, there is a whole vegetarian group here on the forums.  It's all about making goals and stickign with them while having a community. 

If you're stuck on weight and you're still rehabbing, then it's understandable.  I'm not how sure you can push yourself so it might be a little bit of a waiting game. 

however, having a food journal/exercise journal can help to pinpoint where there might be somewhere to fix up a little bit.  no one is perfect, so some cheats here and there are fine since that's life.  there could be something absent-minded that you're missing though. 

Each of the forums have good information based on what you need.  there are paleo recipes, exercise circuits, weight lifting; whatever you feel like pursuing.  the best way to start off is to understand how to make feasble goals.  Once you get feasable goals, you can develop a plan to do that. Here's a quick article on goal-building:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/01/03/how-to-not-suck-at-goal-setting/

for example, the goal of "I want to lose weight' isn't helpful.  There is no plan built into that.  There is no deadline.  There is no measuable way to tell. (for example, pants sizes are a better indicator or weight loss than hopping on the scale and getting dissappointed). 

Thanks!  

I'll give a food/workout journal a try. Setting goals is a little tricky at the moment because rehab dictates some of what I can and can't do and I don't set my own timeline.  So I know one of my goals is to be able to run a mile again, but I have no idea when I might be able to accomplish this by and the progression in therapy is based on what I can do that week so there really is no timeline as to when I'll be doing what. 

Until I'm healed I think Im going to have to focus on other areas of life for example by the end of the month I want to have four new meals that I know how to cook and enjoy. I'll be glad when I finish therapy and can control all my own goals and how I'm going to reach them again. 

Level 2: Sasquatch Warrior

STR: 9 DEX: 3 STA: 2 CON: 0 WIS: 8.5 CHA: 5

Challenges: Current June

Fitocracy 

Archived