Forums are back in action! ×

Android IPC programming Help/Rant

Oogiem

OK I HATE that NONE of the example code on the Android developers site actually works. 

So... Can someone who really understands Android Service/binding/messaging help an ancient programmer out whose last real programming job was in Fortran with some Pascal who is trying to get a Java Android system up and running in time for a demo by the first of July? I have 2 working programs, an EID reader that uses bluetooth to read an electronic ear tag on a sheep. And a LambTracker program that queries a SQLite database using an ear tag number and pulls up lambing data and health records. 

I need to get the EID  reader to send to the LambTracker an EID tag and have the LambTracker automatically pull up the data as the ear tags are read. 

I've been tearing my hair out on this because none of the examples work and I'm just getting lost in the differences between services, binding, broadcast etc. etc. etc. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Yes, tried reddit, Android Developers tutorials,  StackOverflow etc. Lots of various threads but again no complete examples that actually run in the latest Android development environment. 

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Archived