Forums are back in action! ×

I'm back, but with shiny new goals! (Also, a success story)

Hey all!  I was around here for a while, and then kind of bugged out in March.  Work was getting intense and I was having IT band issues.  Then I managed to sprain my ankle (trampolining!), so my fitness life has mostly consisted of rehab and trying to not drown my sorrows in ice cream.

Some of you may also remember my epic food struggles.  The short story is that I was having all sorts of systemic problems, including joint pain, back spasms, intestinal ickiness, anemia, and had stopped menstruating.  Which was super scary.  But then I cobbled together my own Paleo/SCD-inspired, kosher-friendly diet and everything got better!  Possibly because of some autoimmune thingy or possible because of something called SIBO.  Anyways.  This was a year ago.  

The really exciting news and biggest impetus for my new goals, is that I got pregnant!  This is amazing because, as of a year ago, it had been two years since I had menstruated on my own.  My reproductive system had effectively shut down.  When I was 26.  Which was terrifying.  And things have improved so much that Mr. Shoshie and I managed to get me pregnant within the first month of trying!  I couldn't have even imagined this when I was dealing with the worst of my illness.

So now I'm trying to get back on my feet (ugh, literally--sprains really bite).  I super need to maintain my strength, because having a baby is hard work!  So, a return to lifting?  I'm going to start off really slowly and stay at weights that are pretty easy, I think.  I also seriously need to start paying attention to my cardio.  I keep putting it off because I kind of hate it.  I think this means swimming, because the sprained ankle means that brisk walking is out (though slow walking is fine, and I've walked up to two miles in a day).  

Anyways, I know people are happy to hear success stories, and mine isn't a typical one for this site, I think.  I started off fat, and I'm still fat, though a bit less so.  The changes to my body aren't incredibly obvious.  I have thicker hair.  I have rosier skin.  I'm less tired all the time (well, pre-baby that is-- now I'm pretty much constantly tired).  But the internal differences couldn't be clearer.  My body was completely freaked out last year, so stressed that there was no way that my body could have started, much less sustained a pregnancy (eek, though it's still early and I'm super freaked out about miscarriage).  Now my body is chilled out, my inflammation markers are back in the normal range, and I'm fertile.  I couldn't be happier or more grateful.

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge

SIBO is Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.  The idea is that you can end up with pathenogenic bacteria dominating the small intestine.  But there's debate over the best way to diagnose it or whether it could cause inflammatory symptoms. 

Selkie Warrior
Level 2, STR: 6.5 | DEX: 4.5 | STA: 2.8 | CON: 4 | WIS: 7 | CHA: 2.5

Shoshie's "Getting Awesome" Challenge 
Shoshie's "Just Hanging Around" Challenge