Forums are back in action! ×

Packing up and moving to Pittsburgh

I'm graduating college in May and all I want with my life is to be a zookeeper. It's what I've wanted since I was little and working in a zoo last summer (on my feet all day with a lot of heavy lifting) is even what kicked my ass into losing weight. I'm now down 35 pounds since September and still losing weight, but that's not my woot.

These past few months have been filled with resumes, cover letters, and applications with only 2 calls for interviews. It's been kind of a spirit killer and I had resigned myself to move home and volunteer at my local zoo until something else came up. Then, out of the blue, a place in Pittsburgh called me about the application I filled out in February and offered me a summer internship which I took on the spot. Now, I am Midwest born and raised. Grew up in Illinois, college in Wisconsin and a goal to live in Minneapolis. So moving 3 states away to the east coast is a little out of my comfort zone. I'm nervous, but I'm also happier than I've been in a long time. After all the time spent volunteering, interning, and studying to be a zookeeper I finally feel like I'm doing it. :D

Hooray, how exciting! I have visited Pittsburgh a few times and it is an awesome city. I dunno if you are into art, but even if you aren't I recommend to check out the mattress factory gallery, not your typical gallery. I also really really liked the strip district, just a fun place to walk around. Spring is such a fun time to move and explore a new place!

Congratulations and good luck!

And Baltimore is close enough to go party in (cough cough)

Yeah, but I'll be sans car for the summer and I think biking to Baltimore probably isn't the best of plans.

Hooray, how exciting! I have visited Pittsburgh a few times and it is an awesome city. I dunno if you are into art, but even if you aren't I recommend to check out the mattress factory gallery, not your typical gallery. I also really really liked the strip district, just a fun place to walk around. Spring is such a fun time to move and explore a new place!

Congratulations and good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look up that gallery.