Forums are back in action! ×

Way too long for my intro

Hey all,

So here's the deal. I've been lurking for many moons and have finally decided now is the time to rear my ugly mug (no pic yet, you'll just have to imagine for now).

I picked up the RSG (a contestant in the greatest contest in the history of the world) and am starting my way with the basic training guide.

I have 3 year old twins that consume my every waking moment but it appears that the possibility of getting something for nothing (see aforementioned contest) is the type of motivation I need to get my tired old butt off the couch after they go to bed. :)

Nutrition has been and will be my biggest enemy. It's so much easier to throw a pizza in the oven or nuke something than it is to eat healthy but I'd like to be a better role model for my kids so I'm changing things slowly but surely.

I'm an introvert by nature so taking about myself feels a little like gnawing my own arm off. I think I'll sign off for now. Thanks for reading!

Welcome! Glad you decided to speak up!

Twins, wow! I salute you. Have you considered batch cooking to save time? Double the recipe, throw half of it in a big tupperware in your freezer, then you can whip it out in no time the next week. Do this with every recipe, you'd only have to cook one week in two, really. Or less, if you're particularily organized and have a Cooking Day on the weekend. stirfry's and fish take very little time to cook (you can fully cook a fish fillet in 10 minutes!). There's lots of options, really.

Good luck to you!

I don't recall offhand, did you join our challenge? If not, git yer butt over there!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Thanks Plex, but I do owe a lot to my wife. She's pretty amazing.

Yeah, I'm working through the basic training and am really enjoying it. I definitely feel it the next day although I can do a lot more with my lower body than I can with my upper. I'm sure that'll change over time. I'm also trying to do some sort of cardio work on the off days, mostly biking. The weather is changing so I can get outside more now but it's mostly inside.

Like I mentioned nutrition is going to be a struggle for me but I've stocked up on veggies and am working on getting better at making my own dinners. Again with the weather warming up I can do things like grilling out (which I love to do).

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes Althea and Plex. I hope to be a useful part of the community in the future.

I applaude you man. I've got one 11 month old, I couldn't imagine twins! I recently decided I too wanted to be a better rolemodel. And I didn't wanna be one of the fat dads on the sideline at the park watching his kid play on the play ground. I'm also quitting smoking in addition to changing my diet. The workouts haven't been bad because I've always worked out, even though until recently I sucked at it. But what's worked best for me with the food and the smokes is just learning to hate those things. To despise the food I use to eat! Mark over at Marks Daily Apple (if you read Steve's book, you've heard of it) has an article called as if. And he challenges you to act as if you're a health nut, someone who never cheats, who always eats the right things and never misses a workout. And that mentality has helped me a lot.

I hope that helps.

STR - 3.5 | DEX - 2.5 | STA - 2.25 | CON - 7.25 | WIS - 4.25 | CHA - 7

JMBrunson - Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Current Challenge

Find me here:

Twitter: @matthewbrunson

Facebook

Runkeeper

Tumblr

Instagram: matthewbrunson