Forums are back in action! ×

Confidence, Cockiness, and Motivation

So, today after my run, I realized I've fallen into a cycle that I need to break. I will run one day, have an amazing run, push myself a little further or faster, and feel great. With that confidence, I feel I don't psyche myself up as much before my next run, and the next time I'm out on my feet, I'm not doing as well as I did last time, and once I realize that I'm not doing as well, I notice I start doing worse. After my less than awesome run, I Super Psyche myself up, and once again have an amazing run, only to not do as well the next time...

I suppose the net result is me improving, But I was wondering if anyone else ends up like I have, what things people do to stay more head in the game, and try to keep out the negative thoughts once i realize I'm not doing as well as I did last time.

Level 1 Scout

STR-1 DEX-2 STA-2 CON-3 WIS-3 CHA-4

Fitness Quest(s) : Complete and Survive RFYL 5K

Life Quest: Get a Job!

I ran a Ten Miler this Spring and I definitely noticed there were certain days where I felt awesome about my runs and others where I felt less awesome. My Sunday long runs were always really good I think partly because I was so focused on making the most of that run.  My midweek runs were always sluggish and not as amazing. 

I think this might have been because during the week I was under more mental stress and likely had gotten less sleep than I would for my Sunday runs.  

So I hear you on the mental challenges of running.  I think I would say as long as in the long run you are making progress I wouldn't worry too much about it.  2 forward 1 back right?  

My Blog: Fit and Free -  Better Health. Less Hassle.  More Awesome.

Also check out my progress in my first Six Week Challenge - Adventure Class