Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from the most southern point of the populated world!

Name: Steven Moseley

Height: 187cm

Weight: I actually don't know anymore but over 145kgs

Goals:

get back down to 100kgs

attain Dan level in Kendo

Train to run another half marathon

complete my Animation course and get my diploma

Get a job working at Weta Digital for the hobbit

get into Parkour

Story

hey guys I'm Steven Moseley. I currently live in Invercargill New Zealand and the closest real city to Antarctica. I am down here completing a course in animation and digital media currently in my second of three years here.

Ever since i was young I have struggled with my weight. However because my family is heavily musical and involved in the local brass band I grew up playing over sized brass instruments such as the euphonium and Bb bass. The musical level at which I was playing and the size of these instrument have actually kept me in surprisingly good health due to the level of breathing and cardio control needed to play.

when i was at high school a Kendo club was opened at my school and for the 2 years it was running i was close to being truly fit.

However due to personal issues our instructor had to close the club down and ever since my fitness has gone downhill.

just before the Club closed though i was accepted for a scholarship to do a three week Outward bound course. Outward bound is an amazing confidence and fitness course involving bush navigation, sailing, kayaking, and rock climbing. at the end of the course all the participants run a half marathon over the Queen Charlotte track which was the hardest and most rewarding challenge i have ever completed. Over all i lost 7kgs in those 3 weeks and gained a hell of allot of shear fitness as well.

Unfortunately after Outward bound finished and i went home and with the Kendo club closing ,the growing commitment to complete school work, and most importantly my lack of effort to continue losing weight i went straight back to my old weight and lost all the fitness i had gained.

its been three years now since i completed that course and i have become truly sick of living the way i have ever since. I have decided to commit to getting down to a healthy weight and to gain the strength and fitness I always wanted. I intend to get back into Kendo and gain at least 1st dan level in the next 5 years.

So hey guys this is my first real step and i will be staying to the path from now on.

Cheers

Steven Moseley

Welcome! Kendo sounds like great motivation to get fit! Is there a club nearby you can join? Are you going to do anything else fitness-related? Speaking with martial artists, I believe that a strength routine in the side drastically improves your performance, and is a great way to get fitter!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I enjoyed playing the euphonium. I quit because I didn't enjoy it enough to commit to practicing enough, though. I think I might've practiced more if I'd played cello, but what's done is done... and I do love playing low brass. <3 *oompa oompa oompapa*

Good luck with your goals -- especially working on the hobbit! We share the parkour one. <3

Sweet always nice to see another New Zealander.

hey crow i completely agree with the fact of over commitment when it comes to brass. the main reason i kept playing for so long is that my entire family is in the band and my uncle (A VERY persuasive and blunt man) is the conductor so i had very little choice until i left home :P. on the bright side i got to see Japan while in the National youth brass band a few years ago.