Forums are back in action! ×

JET Job GET!

I applied for an Assistant Language Teacher position teaching English in Japan through the JET Program last November. After months of waiting, I was awarded an interview in February (one of five for the state of Alaska). And last Friday, I got an e-mail saying I made the short list! As long as I get certain paperwork in by May 2, I'm in. They'll fly me to Japan and run me through orientation in Tokyo before shipping me off to my final destination to act as English teacher and cultural ambassador.

I've wanted this job for years! It's competitive, too -- there were at least 6 applicants from my campus alone this year plus however many in Fairbanks were unaffiliated with UAF and however many applied from elsewhere in the state. My understanding is that they only send up to one Alaskan a year.

*wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube man*

I don't know where I'm going yet; they don't start placing people until they know for sure who all is going so they can take everyone's preferences into account. I didn't mark down any preferences whatsoever. I'd kinda like to go some place besides Hokkaido, since that's where I lived before... but I love Hokkaido, too, so I wouldn't mind that either. In addition to asking about specific regions, the application gave the option to specify a preference for urban, suburban, or rural placement. I didn't specify that, either. I considered requesting rural, since I've never lived in a rural area, but there are different challenges and advantages to each and I'm pretty sure that I'll enjoy myself no matter where they put me. My Japanese skills are advanced enough that I'm likely to be placed in a rural area anyway.

No matter where I end up, it'll be an adventure! :D I'm so excited. <3

I didn't tell you guys sooner because the consulate asked me to wait to post the news on internet forums because not everyone received notification on the same day.

Challenges I look forward to include: de-rusting my Japanese speaking skills; figuring out how to gracefully tell people about my Paleo diet; finding places to practice archery and lift weights; and learning how to teach at the group level instead of tutoring individually.

Thanks, guys!

The only paperwork I have left is the health certification which is part of the visa application process. There's nothing I can do about that until Monday, when I have a doctor's appointment. Oh, and I need to get passport photos.

I started learning Japanese on my own, but have taken classes at the high school and college level as well. I'm well past done with those, though, and back to studying on my own. xD

:D Awesome, thank you, Plex! What do you teach?

Addendum: I talked to my advisor today, to let him know I got the job since he didn't respond to the e-mail I sent him. He didn't see my e-mail, it seems, but he knew anyway. He was actually on the interview panel (much to my surprise when I got there for the interview!), so the consulate sent him an update on how everyone did. Turns out there's no set limit on how many people can be sent from Alaska, but it's usually one, maybe two. This year, however, four of the five people up for my position were up for it. He told me that I had been their top pick, though. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Aw... it'll only let me put in ten smiley faces.