Forums are back in action! ×

desktop computer vs laptop?

One of my goals is to buy a computer before tbe end of May. The only thing I have right now is my mobile cellular device. I am going to have about 500 bucks to spend and only know the basics about computers. I want a computer that'll let me stalk the Nerd Fitness forums, play Portal 1 & 2, Minecraft and put a bunch of music on. I love music. I am ok with a desktop just cause I really can do a lot on my phone. I just don't know for sure. Suggestions?

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Pros for desktop: You'll be able to get more powerful hardware for your dollar compared with a laptop. Everything is more modular, so if something fails or you want to upgrade, it will be easier (or possible at all) You won't be able to burn your lap when playing a game :)

Pros for laptop: Portability. Overall smaller size.

The portability is not a huge plus for me... I have a pretty decent Android phone. It does what I want it to and more lol

I am really leaning towards a desktop... Although a desk would cut into my workout space a little. I would have to do some rearranging... I am going through Minecraft withdrawals though!

Make today your someday~~~"It's a lifestyle - train like there's no finish line~~~"I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer~~~"There is nothing we cannot live down, rise above, and overcome." - Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I don't have a monitor already... but I am thinking desktop is the way to go. Anyone have any suggestions on which company to get or which specific specs I should be looking for? I have never bought a computer on my own and don't know too much about them.

Building one is best but that may not be the best for you. Everyone here is about to get into a huge argument now so I am just warning you.

I like HP I have had 3 HP computers in my life and they have been stellar. I even upgraded my out of the box HP desktop with 2 Nvidia graphics cards and it reconized them without issue. The same thing goes for RAM, never a problem. My HP laptop is 6 years old and has traveled from Idaho to Georgia, to Virginia, to Washington, to Hawaii, to California, back to Hawaii, back to Idaho, back to Hawaii, to Kuwait, to Iraq, back to Kuwait, back to Idaho, back to Kuwait ,and back to Iraq over that 6 years without a single issue *phew. In California I was actually living in tents running the comp off a generator for 42 days during cold and hot conditions and dust storms and never had a problem. I just upgraded it to Windows 7 about a year ago and it runs like a champ. Actually if you go to the desktop background thread you can see what I run on it.

I don't like Dell. My bro has had 2 and both fell apart in months, there is a reason their customer service is so good, its cuz their computers suck. My bro is more tech savvy then me too. Dell is also what the military uses and they are literally the worst computers ever, EVER! Ask any Soldier about their comp and they hate it. Sooooooooo slow and they fall apart. I also hate Apple but more for ideological reason. I don't think you can get an Apple for $500 anyway.

Look at tigerdirect.com they have very nice computers for cheap. I get all my parts from them. As a matter of fact I bought a new MP3 player from them today.

Pretty much every laptop manufactured is made in the same few factories in China - including Apple. Desktops from various vendors also use the same parts as everyone else, and similar to what you would end up with if you built your own machine. The differences are:

* Vendors tend to put in the bare-minimum power-supply-wise, and VERY often they are a special (proprietary) size, so if it goes it isn't as easy as buying a $30 new one and putting it in there.

* Vendors tend to have 'custom' form-factors for their cases as well, and I know that Dell in the past have had their own 'special' hard-drive mounting system, so if you wanted to add another hard-drive you had to get it from them, because they would give you some plastic things that would make it fit right in their case.

* Vendors tend to be shy about putting decent video cards in their systems, sometimes even in their 'gaming' setups. It doesn't help that you can find $40 cards that have 1GB of video RAM, which most people end up thinking is really good - yet there are cards for $200 with 512MB of video RAM which run WAY faster than their cheaper counterpart.

So..it's hard to recommend one way or the other. Are there local computer shops in your area? I've heard that Fry's and NewEgg are good for buying parts/systems the US. NewEgg has made its way to Canada, but usually our NCIX chain has better pricing.