Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, Rebels! I'm GeoChip. Pleased to meet you.

I am a newbie and thus have not yet figured out how to spruce up my signature or post a picture. Perhaps getting that in order should be part of my first challenge?

It appears I am a Gnome Assassin. Who knew? Nobody would ever suspect a gnome of being an assassin, so I've got that working for me.

In real life, I am 2/3rds rebel and 1/3rd nerd, so this strikes me as a perfect neighborhood to hang out in. Also a big fan of Doctor Who and Arrested Development, so I gotta believe I'm at the right place!

My brief story of how I got here...

I'm 49 and steadily gained about one lb/year since my 20s. It bothered me, but not enough to do anything about it. Then about 1 1/2 years ago my doctor told me my cholesterol was too high and wrote a prescription for statins. I'm not at all keen on taking pharmaceuticals, as I am leery of side effects, and so I embarked on a plan to change my diet and improve my fitness.  My crash course was to do the Men's Health Belly Off diet challenge, and so for a full month I was an angel -- didn't even sip a drop of alcohol! That got me off to a good start. I discovered Mark's Daily Apple (website) and all sorts of similar websites and podcasts. (I learned about NerdFitness after hearing Steve Kamb on the Fat Burning Man Podcast.) My wife and I are now real food/paleo dieters, and I've been very happy with the results. In fairly short order I lost 25+ lbs and had to toss practically all of my clothes. 

Alas, the initial bang I got from being disciplined with my diet and fitness has slowly eroded. My belly is reappearing and I've put back on another 10 lbs. It's time to get serious again, so I'm looking forward to working out with this community of rebels and nerds.

Hoping my wife and two kids (20 and almost 16) will join me in this adventure. I wonder what guild they'll join?.... Stay tuned.

Cheers!

Gnome Assassin - Level 4

STR 7.75 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.0 | CON 4.5 | WIS 4.0 | CHA 3.75

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

First Challenge  Second Challenge Third Challenge

I found this website the same way. Been trying to navigate how things work around here. Basically, it's good goal setting and you get props for nerd themes in your six week challenges. I love to write--especially about nerdy things (alas, I don't watch the shows you mentioned), and I could really use some goal setting accountability. Presto! So far it has fit me well. Hope you have fun here.

Bavarian Ranger -- Level twoStrength 5 Dexterity 4 Stamina 5 Constitution 1 Wisdom 5 Charisma 5 My Epic Quest Challenge #1  Current Challenge

Future goal inspiration from Kurt Vonnegut "Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.â€

Archived