Forums are back in action! ×

Standing desks, who uses them?

Science says that sitting is harmful to your health, and standing is more healthy. So standing desks are coming into vogue now. I recently set one up myself. Its pretty comfortable for the top half of my body, but my feet haven't adjusted to it yet.

Do any other rebels have experience using a standing desk?

and now my watch begins...

one of our offices has ones that raise and lower.

I worked a month there- I spent about half the day standing - and half sitting- it's HARD to stand literally all day- especially ESPECIALLY if you wear heels. 

but yeah- definitely good- i really liked the option to be able to sit and stand. 

I picked up a $5000.00 levity desk for about 100 bucks (used, but still in good shape) and I love it. Sadly with my current living arrangements I've not been able to use it in a few months, but I look forward to when I get it back. My plan for when I do is to alternate between standing and sitting on an exercise ball, and eliminate the chair completely.

This too, shall pass.

If your feet are hurting, you may like to try slowly increasing how long you're standing vs. sitting -- it might help your feet get used to standing more often. :)

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

I stand, I perch on a stool, stand, sit, etc

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I've been meaning to build myself a standing desk for some time now. I don't work a desk job, I work on my feet for 8-12 hour shifts at a time, so on my days off I feel so lazy sitting in front of my computer at home. What's holding me up at the moment is that I'm planning on moving soon so I don't want to build a desk only to have to move it a couple weeks later. IKEA Hacks has a lot of clever and cheap designs to build yourself a standing desk from their parts warehouse. I like this design here.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I ad libbed one at work. Basically I just put my monitor/mouse/keyboard/phone on two little cubes designed for papers. Standing desk + extra storage = Winning! :)

I did basically the same thing at home. I moved my monitor up on to a shelf, then put my keyboard and mouse on two cardboard boxes. Works great!

Avalonna, level 3 Half-Elf Adventurer RangerCurrent challenge & spreadsheet • First challenge • Second challenge â€¢ Third challenge • Fourth challenge • Twitter • Tumblr Nerd Fitness: "This is the place to be healthy with others who know how to field strip a light saber and read elvish while explaining the dynamics of sub-space as it relates to a warp field." - tanktimusSTR 7 ~ DEX 2 ~ STA 6 ~ CON 8 ~ WIS 4 ~ CHA 3