Forums are back in action! ×

Social dance, anyone?

Hello everyone!

I was curious, how many of you like to dance? Social dance in particular? 

Now as far as I go, I can only really do variations of a two step. But I took a social dance class and loved it. Swing, waltz, salsa, and tango are awesome. Do any of you guys do any social dance? Care to share any advice on where to take lessons/how to practice/how to get your shy partner to do it with you? Ha ha ha.

tumblr_m506vixgy41qj3ir1.gif

Also, this scene in Harry Potter made me happy ^-^

Black Half-Hobbit Half-Human

Level 1, Rebel

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

I'm a bellydancer so I would consider myself more of the "entertainment" side rather than the social side- but it's totally a social thing too.

I'm going to be taking hot salsa hot hopefully this month or next- have my eye on someone who could totally be an amazing dance buddy.  drool drool drool 

I'm a bellydancer so I would consider myself more of the "entertainment" side rather than the social side- but it's totally a social thing too.

I'm going to be taking hot salsa hot hopefully this month or next- have my eye on someone who could totally be an amazing dance buddy. drool drool drool

Bellydancing?!?! That's so cool! I can only wish to have that skill. And grab that dance buddy! Especially if it's for salsa... :D

Level 1, Rebel

"Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

ugh- that would be an "accident"  waiting to happen and damn would my BF not appreciate it!!! but we'll see- the HSH doesn't need a partner technically - but he has dirty yummy abs- so it's tempting ;)

yeah- it's an art- but thankfully it's an art and a skill you can learn- if you get the chance to take a class I would recommend it.  It's amazing- and it's tons of fun!! :D

Wife and I ballroom and swing. Got started at an Arthur Murray and branched off to various independent studios. Waltz, Foxtrot, Rumba East/West Coast Swing, etc...

I'm really getting into Samba though, love that pulsation.

Advice? Find somewhere close by to get started with. The chain/franchise whatever doesn't matter when you're first starting out. Don't limit yourself to one particular dance. They all have common elements that will carry over. Swing and Latin have similar movements, Smooth dancing (waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, tango) are all very similar when you are a beginner.

If you can afford to do both private lessons and group lessons do it. Group lessons will help you and your partner get used to dancing with other people and will help you develop real lead/follow technique. Private lessons will help you refine what you learn in group lessons.

Lamp the Druid (lv 1)

Challenge Status

ugh- that would be an "accident"  waiting to happen and damn would my BF not appreciate it!!! but we'll see- the HSH doesn't need a partner technically - but he has dirty yummy abs- so it's tempting ;)

yeah- it's an art- but thankfully it's an art and a skill you can learn- if you get the chance to take a class I would recommend it.  It's amazing- and it's tons of fun!! :D

Uh oh!! Yea, stay clear from trouble! I'll definitely try it out at least once when I have the chance :)

Wife and I ballroom and swing. Got started at an Arthur Murray and branched off to various independent studios. Waltz, Foxtrot, Rumba East/West Coast Swing, etc...

I'm really getting into Samba though, love that pulsation.

Advice? Find somewhere close by to get started with. The chain/franchise whatever doesn't matter when you're first starting out. Don't limit yourself to one particular dance. They all have common elements that will carry over. Swing and Latin have similar movements, Smooth dancing (waltz, foxtrot, quickstep, tango) are all very similar when you are a beginner.

If you can afford to do both private lessons and group lessons do it. Group lessons will help you and your partner get used to dancing with other people and will help you develop real lead/follow technique. Private lessons will help you refine what you learn in group lessons.

Thanks, Lamp! That's great advice. I can't afford it now since I won't have an income flow for a while, but as soon as I do I am planning on taking a class. I'm not sure if there is any dance studios near my hometown, but wherever I find a job next year I'll look for one :) Samba sounds fascinating!

Level 1, Rebel

Uh oh!! Yea, stay clear from trouble! I'll definitely try it out at least once when I have the chance :)

Thanks, Lamp! That's great advice. I can't afford it now since I won't have an income flow for a while, but as soon as I do I am planning on taking a class. I'm not sure if there is any dance studios near my hometown, but wherever I find a job next year I'll look for one :) Samba sounds fascinating!

If you just want to get dancing in any way possible you can check out local colleges/community colleges. A lot of them offer (very) large group sessions for cheap and usually free social dancing opportunities. The quality will be lacking some, but it is better than nothing.

Lamp the Druid (lv 1)

Challenge Status