Forums are back in action! ×

Ankle Soreness Post Run

So I started running (slowly mind you :)) two year ago. This year, it seems that my ankle is starting to ache during races and I feel less stability in the ankle when not running – especially in my yoga routine. When I was much younger, I had tendonitis in my ankles… could this just be that flaring up again? Am I pushing myself too hard? Should I run with a brace or inserts in my shoes?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

The best thing I can suggest is to make sure that your form is good.  There are plenty of videos online about proper running form... it is not as easy to "run" as most people think it is, it does require a good bit of form work to ensure you don't hurt yourself when running often.

As for commenting on the tendinitis possibility or whether you should use a brace, that is really something that you need to talk to a doctor about.  There are a million reasons you could be having ankle pain from tendinitis, to cartilage issues, to even a hairline fracture.  Medical advice is best sought from experts.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

^^^^^ this.  doctor time. 

I would not run in a brace unless told to do so by a sports med guy b/c it will cause chaffing and limit your ankle's mobility. 

I would stop running for now, rest, and get into a sports doc.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Thank you very much for the thoughts!

I carry an HSA for insurance, so I try to get opinions outside of just seeing a doctor “just in caseâ€.  I am going to try to improve my form and see if that changes anything. If I am still experiencing soreness (which isn’t terrible, it’s just annoying), I will then head to the doctor.

You’re all right on that, for sure. No improvement will equal me quitting running and seeing the doctor.

My Chiropractor is a long distance runner and he said he didn’t feel anything broken or out of the norm in there – just a bit of swelling since I had just been on a run. He gave me a few suggestions on tendon strengthening exercises, and I just haven’t gotten to them yet. I should probably get on that, as well…

Just a side note, if it is a tendon issue, you should be careful, slow down, and reduce your mileage.  Tendons have very little blood flow unlike muscles, as a result they take a long time to heal.  Where a bruised muscle could be fine in a week, a damaged tendon could take more than a month to fully heal.  The further you damage it the longer it will take to heal... just be cautious.  I am the kind that prefers to self diagnose and test things on myself as well, but when you are dealing with tendon and ligament issues, the doctor should be brought in sooner rather than later.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Add another vote to the doctor pile.

I lost the last half of last year's running season to an ankle injury. If I had seen the doctor first, instead of waiting 6 weeks for it to "get better" (It didn't, at all) I would probably be running faster and longer and not in support shoes. I still have weakness in that one ankle, and have been working to strengthen it, but will probably always be in support shoes for running.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

I’ve got a couple days off of work in the next  week for a mini staycation – I’ll try to get an appointment to ease my mind :) In the mean time I will be light and easy on the ankle. Gotta be in shape for the Warrior Dash in 23 days…

Just a side note, if it is a tendon issue, you should be careful, slow down, and reduce your mileage.  Tendons have very little blood flow unlike muscles, as a result they take a long time to heal.  Where a bruised muscle could be fine in a week, a damaged tendon could take more than a month to fully heal.  The further you damage it the longer it will take to heal... just be cautious.  I am the kind that prefers to self diagnose and test things on myself as well, but when you are dealing with tendon and ligament issues, the doctor should be brought in sooner rather than later.

Very good point...

Have you been fitted for running shoes? If you're looking for options outside of a doctor, try getting formally fitted for a shoe. See if it feels vastly different. Dr should be your top choice, but being fitted may be an option to look in to

Level 2 Wood Elf. Druid at Heart, Training With the RangersSTR 7|DEX 3|STA 9|CON 5.5|WIS 5.75|CHA 3.5

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/30484-gilfrens-grab-at-great-gams/?hl=gilfren]Challenge Thread