Forums are back in action! ×

WTF just happened??

I look forward to my Tuesday night workout all week.  The wife goes out, the kids are asleep, and I get quality time with my weight bench.  But tonight I felt like my heart just wasn't in it.  I cranked out the first two sets and just couldn't make myself go on.  I felt like my passion for the workout had simply fizzled.  This has never happened to me before.  I wasn't tired or sore or anything like that.  Hopefully this is just a one-time occurrence, but still... what gives?  Have any of you ever experienced this? Did it go away on its own?  Did you power through? How did you cope?

That is one symptom of overtraining, but stress and lack of sleep and other things can cause it.  Sometimes you just don't feel it.

I find that the best thing to do is power through as much as you can with good form, or else make a solid plan to retry in a couple of days.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

This.  If you just felt like not doing it, then maybe you just weren't into it today.  Push ahead, because motivation isn't forever, but results last longer. 

If you actually felt weak or tired or worn out, then you might be overtraining (and the above poster is right.  Low emotional energy is the first sign of overtraining).  

My advice:  get good rest and eat smart and see if you feel better next time.  Feel free to post back here and let us know how it goes. 

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

Your system knows there's a flu bug or cold coming along before you do!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Take a rest, and get well. The important thing is not to feel guilty. Sometimes you're just tired and powering through it won't hurt you. But sometimes you are fighting injury or illness and your body is telling you to back off or your in trouble. You should be able to take a week or two off and not lose any gains (assuming you aren't going to overcompensate by overeating). Rest for a couple of days until the symptoms subside. Drink lots of fluids. Ease back into it when you are ready. Practice good hygeine and listen to your body.

Fitness/Motivation Level Up Blog: IronEdutainer

twitter: https://twitter.com/pjr_ilstu

fitocracy: https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/pjrilstu/

My ScienceCom website and video channels.

"He who lives on hope, will die fasting" - Ben Franklin

I hit that wall a lot too. Most of the time I just have to force myself to keep going but since I workout in my garage it can be really tempting to just go back into the house. Sometimes I'll just switch up and do something I really enjoy. Sometimes If I've not had enough to eat all day my workout dedication can suffer, even a shot of caffeine can help put me in a better mood.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Allons-y!

If deadlifts were easy they'd be called ellipticals.

If you can't fix it with fish oil and squats you're probably going to die. ~ Marshall White

TIME LORD, The Warrior, Level 3: STE: 12, DEX: 12, STA: 5; CON: 5.75, WIS: 9; CHA: 2

Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Ephesians 6.10

-           -      -   -  -  -  -  -  - - - - - - - -----------------------------------------------

Monday, Wednesday and Friday I jog 2 miles in the morning. Tuesday and Saturday I do circuits of bodyweight and weight lifting strength exercises. Thursdays I do a HIIT routine.  Also, I work in a warehouse that requires a lot of walking and heavy lifting throughout the day.

Guest asdf

Glad to hear it.  :nevreness:  Don't forget that if you ever end up cutting a work out short you can always resolve to make up the difference in your next work out. I started a core work out earlier this week, got through one set and for some reason just stopped. So the next day in addition to my push pull workout I completed the last two sets of the previous day's work out so that I wouldn't lose out on the benefit of a core work out for the week.