Forums are back in action! ×

I've lurked for a while, and attempted to get healthy, but the best way to get through it is with others.

I'm a senior in high school, graduating tomorrow, heading up to Chicago for college. I know that college will be a big change, and part of that change for me will be being more active. I'll definitely be walking more, probably be eating better (I'm 90% sure I'll lose the Freshman 15 since we make great food at my house, that isn't super healthy, and I have access to it all the time), and I want to join a martial arts club (probably Taekwondo since I did that years ago, and I think it's a great Martial Art to know for fitness, self-defense, etc.). I'm almost 6'0 but I started growing late, and haven't really developed much muscle yet. I'm somewhere around 180 pounds, so decently overweight. I'm kind of lazy, but I plan to fix that this summer, and into college. For now, I'm starting bodyweight workouts and doing some interval training, but I don't want to get bored. Any suggestions as to fun, free ways to work out, that don't require you to already be fit?

Some nerd stuff... I've watched all of Doctor Who (including all the old episodes on Netflix), read all of the Lord of the Rings, and I think Firefly needs to be Netflix's next pet project (especially after the epic success that is Arrested Development). I'm planning on doing Cognitive Science in college, but I change my mind a lot. I'm probably one of the only people I know that likes math and biology and I've taken courses on Udacity just for the fun of it.

I guess that's it, can't wait to get fit.

[*]Human Adventurer working on being a Monk

[*]STR: 2, DEX: 2, STA: 1, CON: 3, WIS: 4, CHA: 3

Hi and welcome. Best of luck as you start college and your fitness journey!

Lvl 8 ◠Half-Elf breaking free of an Ogre’s body ◠Ranger
STR 11.5; DEX 2; STA 19.5; CON 13; WIS 13; CHA 5
Fire Flower Power-up
“Things Do Not Happen. Things Are Made to Happen†– John F. Kennedy

My current challenge

2014 - My Year of Badassery (Battle Log)

Twitter

Instagram

Past Challenges:

#1; #2; #3; #4, #5, #6, #7, #8

Welcome! When I saw the topic name, I was hoping you were a Doctor Who fan :)

For a fun, free workout, go running! Okay, maybe not everyone thinks that's fun, but I think it's a very forgiving sport - you can go as slowly or for as short a distance as you want. Do you have any good local trails or nice neighborhoods you could explore on foot? I also love listening to audiobooks for longer workouts/runs. Ooh, you could also offer to help out with yardwork at home or around your neighborhood - it can be a great workout, definitely free, and people would probably really appreciate it!
Once you're at college, check out the campus fitness center - when I was in college, my roommate and I played racquetball every Saturday morning. It was a fun, free workout and it made me get out of bed at a decent hour!

best of luck!

Archived