Forums are back in action! ×

310lbs...looking to get my self athletic

Hi,

I am 32, 310lbs, a smoker, and I want to get fit. Smoking in of itself is bad, but i am taking measures on that front.

My massive weight is another thing....at 6' 3" I kinda carry it ok, most people don't believe how heavy I really am. My knees are giving me a lot of trouble. I fly frequently for my company and I barely can get the seat belt on. I am always afraid someone will sit by me and make a ruckus about my size. I am just tired of being fat. I have been on a vegan diet for the last 9 days.mi went on this diet, not for philosophical reasons (I am a avid omnivore), but I believed it would be best path to practice being disciplined. Being vegan makes a lot of how I previously ate much harder.

Although my wife supports me, I feel alone when I go to the gym. I don't have the resources right now to hire a personal trainer, so I am no sure if what I am doing is right.

I have decided, based on info on this site, to do strength training. I feel overwhelmed and lost, but I am determined that will get my weight down. I ultimately want to look like one of the guys on 300.

Help cheer me on.

The destination isn't as important as the journey.

*jumps up and down cheering*

I definitely think strength training is the way to go. But you also have to add some cardio into it. Perhaps some short sprints every now and then? Or taking some walks with your wifey? Start there, then progress as you build endurance.

The hardest part is getting started - once you start, it gets much easier. I look forward to reading more about your journey. =)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

*jumps up and down cheering*

I definitely think strength training is the way to go. But you also have to add some cardio into it. Perhaps some short sprints every now and then? Or taking some walks with your wifey? Start there, then progress as you build endurance.

The hardest part is getting started - once you start, it gets much easier. I look forward to reading more about your journey. =)

Thanks for the support. I have been to the gym every day this week from Tue till Sat, mostly getting on the stationary bikes and wondering what to do. I found Nerd Fitness on Friday, this site gave me more direction.

My plan right now is brisk walking/ stationary bike on Tues & Thursday with strength training on Mon, Wed, & Fri.

When I was 18 or so I used to be overweight too. I got into JROTC and began their PT program. I got quite lanky, and weighed in at 170 lbs and could run a 6:10 min mile. I joined the military and served in the Navy and then the Air Force from 1998-2006. All that running did a number on my knees.

I loved running and wish I could do again. The greatest run I ever had was in high school. The JROTC group got together to do a 1 1/2 mile run. Well a buddy and I set a great pace and ended up running 2 hours straight, we lost track of time just talking and running. We quit counting miles after 4... To have that energy and endurance, even just a tenth of it, would be great.

Alas, at three hundred plus pounds, I am not sure how to best protect my weaened knees at this weight. Used to love cardio soooo much. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. BTW the tread mill ALWAYS gives me shin splints when used for running. Plus for some reason, I could never keep my balance on them while running.

Welcome to the Rebellion, chopkins!

Strength training will help build muscle and that will help preserve your knees. Usually in most gyms, there are people who are regulars (especially in the weights area). I've found gym rats are pretty awesome people - if you go over and ask them for pointers, they're likely going to help you.

Kamikaze, level 3 scholar-monk(Biology/Aikido)

STR 3|DEX 4|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 5|CHA 5

I'm built fairly big like you are (i'm almost 6', and most people misguess my weight by around 80-100 lbs), and I discovered when i had access to a gym that the ellipticals were much easier on my knees than the treadmill, if your gym has some you might give them a try.  Swimming is also much lower impact on your joints.  

Feel free to join us in the chat!  There are several gym rats in there most of the time ^_^ and we like to answer questions or just chill out!

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Welcome to the Rebellion, chopkins!

Strength training will help build muscle and that will help preserve your knees. Usually in most gyms, there are people who are regulars (especially in the weights area). I've found gym rats are pretty awesome people - if you go over and ask them for pointers, they're likely going to help you.

I did weight training today. I guess I am not stretching right or something. My biceps are very tight and get sore when I extend my arms out straight. I need someone there who knows what they are doing to show me the ropes. I feel like I am half-assing it.

I'm built fairly big like you are (i'm almost 6', and most people misguess my weight by around 80-100 lbs), and I discovered when i had access to a gym that the ellipticals were much easier on my knees than the treadmill, if your gym has some you might give them a try.  Swimming is also much lower impact on your joints.  

Feel free to join us in the chat!  There are several gym rats in there most of the time ^_^ and we like to answer questions or just chill out!

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

I plan to try the ellipticals when I do cardio tomorrow. 

Where do you live? We nerds are spread far and wide - worldwide! I'm sure you can find someone that can help you out.

I'm pretty sure I have some nerds at my gym, they're just a little shy saying hi to me when I'm looking so mean doing squats. lol. Look around in the meet-ups section.

Remember to factor in progression into your workouts. Sometimes when we stick to doing something the same way always - we don't get anywhere. There are some very very knowledgeable people on this website. Good luck and wish you well. :)

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Archived