Forums are back in action! ×

Hello from Mos Eisley (aka Dubai)

Hello Rebels,

I am a travelling hotelier, originally from the UK, enjoying life in Dubai. Happily married to Sybille, my German rock, two fantastic children of 21 and 18. I have to admit I was 10 when the original Star Wars came out.

I have always battled with my weight and a succession of knee injuries from rugby have meant that I have struggled with sticking to programmes, and finding something that I can do in the long term. I am 6ft tall (1.83m), weigh 223Ib (101.2kg) and, as of 4 June, had a body fat of 31.2% That's been pretty constant for the last few years, I have started just about every diet around and done lots of different exercise but never seen any long term success - in hindsight I was too focused on cardio. My job means there is always good food and drink around me but it also means that I have access to all the right things as well. I also have to watch the temptation to enjoy too much of the Mos Eisley nightlife.

Last year I sorted my knee out (a femoral osteotomy for those of you who might be interested) and I have about 15 years before I need to think about an artificial joint. My running days are over but I have been introduced to the joys of Cross Fit and strength training. Last night I went to bed really excited about the simple WOD I had planned for this morning and I really enjoyed the early start and simple routine this morning. It's a bit warm and humid here at the moment so most of the work over the next few weeks will be indoors but I am travelling back to the UK for my daughter's University graduation on July 13,  and I really want to take on the 6 week challenge as an introduction to get me started and get in better shape. I am working on the Paleo; Atkins has always worked for me but with unpleasant side effects and I find it tough to stay on track in the long term.

I have a great PT, who is now away for 10 days so I have to stay focused and welcome the support and encouragement that I see on this website and forums. After reading the definitions I have concluded I am a Ranger and have posted my challenge on the forum.

Not sure if there is anyone else in Dubai but it would be great to speak to those of a similar disposition. I can offer support, humour (spelt and executed the British way, although I did spend two years at an American Embassy school in Iceland - a few similarities to Hoth..) and the benefits of the wisdom of my advancing years - Yoda level he is not.

Thanks for reading this far!

James

Archived